Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Let ´s teach another subject    

Let ´s teach another subject

zailda
Brazil

Let ´s teach another subject

Some of us have faced the bad experience of having our worksheets redistributed and I know one may feel discouraged to share his work after dealing with it. But we must remember that the internet is a newborn means of communication and even the countries are still learning how to manage to produce effective laws that protect people�s rights on the internet. The laws are insufficient and not clear, and not everyone is aware of their existence.

No one would take another person�s car for a ride without permission unless he had the clear intention of stealing, but they don�t see any problem if they take our work and use it without permission. They don�t associate the two actions as if they are the same, they think �if I�m able to copy it, I�m allowed to use�.

It�ll take long until people and countries respect the copyright laws or even to understand that everything on the internet has an owner or an author and the ownership has to be respect as we respect any other property.

Most of the copies occur because a person recognizes the value of someone else�s work and thinks (erroneously) that redistributing  would be a good way of praising. As teachers and authors we should accept the copies as part of the creation process and understand that besides feeding the internet with worksheets for our students and colleagues we also have the responsibility of teaching people how to respect another person�s rights over his own creation.

This new environment allowed people that never had written before to have a blog or a site and some don�t think that copying is wrong. To make them aware of the implications of their actions is to be considered as part of our work to make the internet a useful means of sharing and spreading information and education.

Just my 50 cents�

Have a nice day!

Zailda

22 Sep 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Perhaps with a car it �s easier, because it is a material thing, and we are all material(istic) creatures...

But you know your 50 cents will always be worth much more in my book.

22 Sep 2010     

zailda
Brazil

LOL

I �m not telling anyone to accept the copies (I myself feel furious when someone takes my work and redistributes it...), but to accept the fact they �ll occur and we can �t let them get to us and discourage us to share our work. We are teachers and we should teach them how to respect copyright laws, as we do to our students.

If you have a car, it might be stolen. If you create something, it will happen some day too. It �s a risk we take when creating anything. Since we are teachers, why don �t teach them about ownership and respect?

Have a nice day, dear.

(Off to work, see ya later)

22 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

I walked home next to a fake Prada bag today. I think people don �t see counterfeiting brand name products or redistributing free ws as stealing. I have never had stuff stolen, maybe because my stuff is not worth stealing.

Check this, it will take a while until you get it.

22 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

When we put something on the Internet, we should accept that it will be used and redistributed by others. After all, the majority of people believe that what is on the Internet should be free for all. Haven �t we all downloaded to some extent copyrighted materials, a song or movie? 

Getting angry and trying to stop this flash flood will only result in making your blood boil and needing a straitjacket after a while. BTW, what �s wrong with Creative Commons? Insisting on full copyright on sites like this is a pipe dream anyway.

22 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

There is one god but so many religions. 

22 Sep 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Took 2 seconds Blunder.

22 Sep 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

edrod, people who know that don �t have to steal ;o)

Native?

22 Sep 2010     

Laly59
Spain

When I have read this, I think I lost something, I feel silly and ignorant because I don�t understand why  all this has been writting by Zailda

22 Sep 2010     

donapeter
Romania

I �ve just read about Alenka �s site and I remember some days/weeks ago someone �s ws was reported as being a copy from Alenka �s ws. Even Alenka left a comment on that ws. A big "Thank you". How come she left that comment when she was aware it was exactly her work but in a different order? 
I think Alenka realized that "sharing" somehow involves further " re-sharing". It �s quite impossible not to think about this when uploading something on Internet. 
We all have to respect copyright!!! But till then........let �s face the truth: we all know things here are stolen, are re-shaped, re-valued, re-made, re-created  etc etc etc. When we upload a ws here we are aware of the further risks! 

22 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Even the former US president has strong feeling about this.

Erm, I hope you have a sense of humour. If not, I apologize in advance. BTW, great website (esp. if you want students to practise writing short dialogues).

22 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >