Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Confused and curious    

Confused and curious

ohermann
Czech Republic

Confused and curious

Hi my dear colleagues,
could you tell me what difference is between these two sentences and if they are correct:

I am home from school.

I am AT home from school.

And if there is a difference why is that. Thank you veeeery much for your answers and replies. Have a nice first Autumn day.
Oto

23 Sep 2010      

douglas
United States

I wouldn �t use: "I am at home from school."

23 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I �m home from school. 

I �m at home. (You could say this to someone on a mobile/cell phone) - 

I �m    home.

But not I�m at home from.......(place)

23 Sep 2010     

nombasa
South Africa

I think the answer lies with the use of the prepositions.  If you say "I am at home",  the preposition links the subject "I" with the object "home".  If you say "I am home from school", the preposition from is linking home and school, not you.  You wouldn �t normally link more than two items with prepositions in one simple sentence.

23 Sep 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I �m home from school is US English.  I may be wrong but it means I have just arrived home after finishing school.

The second sentence is not correct. 

23 Sep 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I agree with you all - but.....

If someone said to me that they were at home from school, I would think that they were sick that day and had not gone to school. 
But otherwise - we say - I �m home from school.

23 Sep 2010     

ohermann
Czech Republic

Thanks a lot lot lot for your replies, my dear friends. Now I am 100 per cent sure. Clap Hug 

23 Sep 2010