Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > total beginner - first lesson    

total beginner - first lesson

fede117
Italy

total beginner - first lesson

Hi,

as I di not get any reply to my post. I try again. I have been asked to teach a Beginner level. this is going to be Italian to foreigners but I think you might help me here too. School has a policy with regards to 1st lesson: not to use the books (which are not yet available) ; do "get to know you" activities and "why have you chosen to learn Italian" to adapt to their needs. I do not want to use English but start with Italian straight away and I know about "find someone who", but how can students go around asking questions if they are total beginners? what type of questions should they ask?
have you got suggestions for this type of activies to do in the 1st lessonfor total beginners?
please can you PM me as I might not be able to view your answers.

thanks very much for your help
have a nice day

23 Sep 2010      

perma
Greece

Hi!
What age are your students?

23 Sep 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

all beginners classes start with the verb Be.  What is your name? My name is Dawn. What is his name? etc  then probably numbers, nationality, jobs.
if you havent got any beginners books I suggest you go to englishtips.org and download some beginners books to get an idea of what to do.
good luck

23 Sep 2010     

Lucia13
Armenia

Hi Fede,
Like when teaching Spanish,the first day I introduce the alphabet as it has some unique letters,with each letter of the alhabet I give a few words,basic ones that they will need much during their learning process also such words that resemble the words in their native tongue.This way the students will go back home with a bunch of words remembering them.After I am done with the alphabet letters I turn to some essential rules relating the pronunciation of the letters,something like the English letter C which can be pronounced both as [s] and as [k] before certain letters.Then we talk about the purpose of learning Spanish.I give multiple choice answers explaining to them what each means,then they talk about themselves and why they want to learn Spanish.I also ask them to think about 5 words,preferably in Spanish that are related to Spain(e.g. corrida,tomatina,flamenco,football).I think this will be more than enough for the first lesson.But don �t expect to go without any translatin for the first lesson.For me it �s impossible.You are not dealing with kids to turn to gestures,songs or flashcards.
Hope I could help you somehow.

23 Sep 2010     

balexwhite
United Kingdom

Hello

I would start by teaching greetings and how are you etc. and responses with symbols - such as a happy face for I am great. Then I would have a find someone who sheet based on food as Italian food is very well known - and just begin by teaching �you like?/ do you like? � and yes/ no. The sheet could use pictures to avoid using English - such as find someone who doesnt like pizza - a picture of a pizza and a sad face/ thumbs down.

Could even teach yes it �s delicious/ no it �s disgusting...?

Just another idea for you!

23 Sep 2010     

fede117
Italy

thank a lot everybody for your nice suggestion! I will try all of them Smile

23 Sep 2010     

sabinasanjora
Spain

Hi!
I wonder if you are able to use an overhead projector or a projector. I think it �s a good idea to start with the Italian from the very beginning.

Apart from listening to each other you could have a support with questions - in Italian - like the ones in this link just in case:

http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/worksheets/interviewquest.pdf

--

Good luck!

23 Sep 2010