Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Harry Potter - vocabulary    

Harry Potter - vocabulary

Carlota_24
Poland

Harry Potter - vocabulary

Hello dear Teachers,

Again need your help. I �m just reading HARRY POTTER although I �m not fond of such kind of books but sb told me it �s quite good and there �re lots of new interesting vocabulary worth learning so I was tempted and I �ve happened on some vocab I only can  guess the meaning of. Could you help me work it out and tell if it �s only the invention of the author or maybe it �s commonly used in some dialects or in informal situations (example 1- words in the bold)).

1. �Choo fall over for? �
    �Choo lookin � at? � It was said by Stan Shunpike; (Harry Potter & the Prizoner of Azkaban, chapter 3, p.31)

And one word which I only found as a noun in a dictionary and here it �s used as a verb.
 2.  He was clouted by something. -> How to understand it??

Maybe some of you had a chance to read the book and can help me with the following words or even if you didn �t, you may know what the words mean.

I �m waiting for your suggestions :) Thank you in advance.

Have a nice day,
Ewelina

23 Sep 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

this is the beauty of the English language: it can reinvent itself!!!
1. �choo is this context means "what you" = Stan �s grammar is far from perfect, so he doesn �t use the auxiliary "what did you fall over for? what were you looking at?" and his accent makes it sound like he �s saying " �choo" instead of "what you"
2. can �t tell you without looking at the context!
I �ve read the Harry Potter books many times, and one thing I know: if you don �t understand a word, look at the general context, what could this mean? it �s particularly true when JK Rowling tries to transcribe oral English - sometimes it �s hard to understand, but when you try to imagine what the character �s accent sound like, it gets easier!!!
have a nice day

23 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

Great book. Loved it.

"Choo" here is very slang for "What are/did you"...

"Clouted" means to hit very hard on the head.

Cheers,

Linda

23 Sep 2010     

Carlota_24
Poland

Wow, what a lightning response!

Thank you very much. I was close to guess the meaning :)
I �m reading it the first time and I don �t regret about starting it :) The language and the way she puts the words is great. I �m very curious what �ll happen next but it �s a long way before me to finish all the parts.

Thanks once again and good bye :)
Ewelina 

23 Sep 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Wow - I think the Harry Potter books are the best thing since sliced bread!
What other book has kids standing in line to buy and read?
(Usually kids lined up for films - new phones or games)
The language is fantastic and the author �s writing helps build vocabulary.
Her stories are fascinating too.  These books have brought back the joy
of reading to millions and millions of people all over the world.
That �s pretty great if you ask me.

23 Sep 2010