Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > classroom rules    

classroom rules

Ginevra
Italy

classroom rules

Dear colleagues
I �ve just started teaching this year in a new school. I �ve two classes of 16 years old students. Do you think it �s a good idea to start giving them some rules concerning behaviour? I �ve thought something like this:
1. Do your homework everyday
2. Don �t chew gums in class
3. Don �t eat or drink during the lesson
4. You can �t go to the toilet at the first lesson, at the last and after the break
5. Don �t talk while your teacher is talking
6. Don �t talk while one of your classmate is aking a question or answering the teacher �s questions.
I �d like to avoid the same problems I had last year with on of my classes where I had a lot of difficulties in managing it. And I hink the problem was that rules where not clear and well established.
I �ll wait for some of your suggestions. Thanks in advance classroo

23 Sep 2010      

kenab
Slovenia

I �ve already done that, I chose some of them and wrote them neatly. They can be read in the classroom and if you want I can send them on your email. Good night.

23 Sep 2010     

olaola
Italy

... the problem is not writing the rules, it �s to make the students follow them!!!! it is hard!!!!!

23 Sep 2010     

flo2106
France

Hi,

I include the classroom rules in the classroom language worksheet.  I have prepared a table with sentences in English and their translation in French. I �ve cut these sentences and put them in envelops. Students in small groups have to find the equivalents and then fill in a form with all the sentences. Then I insist on the fact that from the very moment this activity is over we can communicate in English only. If necessary I create posters to put in the classrooms and from time to time I just use the stripes with the sentences again, asking them to find the equivalents.
Hope it can help !
Flo

23 Sep 2010     

maggiejeria
Chile

I think it�s a good idea Flo, thanks.

23 Sep 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

just an idea thta has worked for me .... try to make the rules with your students... make them suggest you what is not a good behaviour write their suggestion on the board... make a student write the rules on a paper  and write the names of who suggested the idea... then ask them to make a poster in a cardboard  with the final result.  another suggestion never write the rules stating with dont.... always write them in a positive way.  this way if the break a rule they �ll know they were their on rules. and of course, be part of the rule making.

24 Sep 2010     

brookee
United States

Why not let students have a part in establishing the classroom rules?  It gives them ownership in the process and makes them accountable.

Here �s a tip on how to get started:  http://bogglesworldesl.com/lessons/2002janfeb.htm

~~Brooke

24 Sep 2010     

Ingenua
Spain

I think that you should try to take care of the problem you have in managing your students not in making rules. If they respect you, you don`t have to make any rule. They must never see you as a week person, either you are really lost ... try to do something about that.

24 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

Liz and Brooke have excellent ideas. You do need rules in a classroom but also, especially since your students are teenagers, these rules should be something that they feel is "important" and that you aren �t treating them as children.

I think that asking their opinion on what they think should be the rules in the classroom and having them make a poster later on this, will give them a sense of "ownership" and perhaps, pride, in what goes on in "their" English class.

The most important thing is that they feel involved and that you care about what they think... if you come in with a bunch of "rules" that they think are for "kids", then you may have some problems with this - or that has been my experience as a tutor and having my students tell me that "their teacher at school came in the first day with a bunch of stupid rules and treated them like 1 graders..."

24 Sep 2010     

Ginevra
Italy

Thanks to everybody for all your suggestions
I �ll take them into account
Have a nice weekend

24 Sep 2010