Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Welcoming party    

Welcoming party

ituska
Slovakia

Welcoming party

Hi everybody, I hope you are all doing great Smile
I need your help, again... I work in a daycare and my kids are 3-3,5 years old. I am about to organise a welcoming party for parents and I am out of ideas... I need to find some actvitiy, game or icebreaker, but there are some "problems" I am dealing with... e.g. parents don �t know each other, some kids have really great level of english but some of them are new and their english is very poor or they don �t even understand. And of course, their concentration time is very low...

So I had to canceled all the games I was thinking about and now I am totally stuck. Does any of you have any experience with such a game or activity? I would be very glad to hear about it... Thanks in advance

Wish you all a beautiful day Smile

24 Sep 2010      

nombasa
South Africa

how about a dress the balloon activity.  With this the parents and children can work together in small groups and then can view each other �s work and laugh!  Each group is given a balloon which they blow up.  They then must cut out feet, eyes etc from card and stick them on using sticky tape.  They can draw on features etc.  Then there is a grand prize giving after an hillarious time of voting.

Another such activity is to work in groups and design an outfit on one of the children - only using a roll of toilet paper and what they have in their handbags.  Again there is a parade, a vote and a prize. 

Both of these activities create a lot of discussion and people remember each other for funny reasons for many years to come.

I hope that this helps.

24 Sep 2010     

patrenou
Argentina

When my kids attended kindegarten  the teacher ( Cecilia) used to do this activity at the Family�s day. They are 21 and 17 now and they still remeber it!!

Ask each family to bring an old sweatshirt, pair of socks, jogging trousers, gloves. All in a kid�s size. They can be clothes the kid has stopped wearing. And old newspapers.And an old pantyhose.  Needle and thread.

The day of the meeting they have to  make a doll with those things. They sew, they fill the clothes with the newspaper and they use the pantyhose to make the face. You can give them some things to make the eyes, the mouth and the nose. The kids give them a name. Then you can  make activities with these dolls.Flip them in the air. dance with them, hide behind it, lie on it, etc. At the end of the day the kids take it home. My kids played and slept with this doll for many weeks!!! They loved the idea of having a doll almost their same size!!!

I hope you�ll find this idea useful.

24 Sep 2010