Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Pictures from Picasa    

Pictures from Picasa

zailda
Brazil

Pictures from Picasa

Hi!

I see that some members / moderators reject pictures found on Picasa because they say "most of the pictures from Picasa are copyrighted".

That �s not true. Each person who has a Google account has the right to upload 1GB of pictures to Picasa, and each person is responsible for the pictures s/he uploads there.

If a picture is there and is scanned, how can you assure it �s scanned from an ESL book? To prove it you have to provide the book title. What if it �s scanned from a science book? Or a math book? What about fair use? We �re not allowed to use pictures scanned from ESL books, remember? There are no lines on the rules about geography books or whatever.

Some pictures are taken from sites with strict copyright laws, but how can you know? There are many pictures from sites that allow us to use for non-profit purposes.

Generalization is not possible talking about a site with millions of sources (each person uploads what s/he wants).

Since some moderators (or members) seem to have plenty of time to download and examine other person �s pictures with a microscope to report them, what if they asked the member who uploaded the pictures to Picasa where they came from? Or if they spend the time they seem to have searching the site / book they are originarily from?

If they want to do their "homework" complete, they should provide the original source, since the fact of being found at Picasa doesn �t prove anything. What if someone copied one of the pictures I draw myself (let �s pretend I �m able to) and uploaded it there? Would my ws be reported? Or if they upload a ws from a site that allows me to use their pictures?

It doesn �t matter who upload the pictures, if you want to know about the copyright, you have to find its owner and if the owner is not Picasa (never will be, because the site doesn �t have anything, the pictures "belong" to the zillions of uploaders), how can you say whether a picture should or shouldn �t be used?

Or maybe... (just a suggestion)... if some spent the time they seem to have sharing their own work and let the pictures with wm that human beings can �t see alone?

Have a nice day

24 Sep 2010      

yolprica
Spain

I think we should focus our efforts on making and getting good teaching material and share documents which are really useful for our lessons instead of being so fussy about things which are not really important. I don �t mean that we should do illegal things, of course but think about the end, not so much about the means.

Yolanda 

24 Sep 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

Yolanda,
If we don �t respect copyrights, this site could be in trouble. What we do in our classroom and what we publish here are two different things.

Zailda,
I agree with your point of view. If we report something as being stolen or with stolen images, we should also be able to back up the reporting with proof.

25 Sep 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi Yolanda!

I completely agree with you, for some the "reporting thing" is the "fun part"... unfortunatelly.

25 Sep 2010     

zailda
Brazil

I agree that stolen work is to be reported, but I �m against the generalization about a site with zillions of contributors. Before reporting we have to state the original source and not base the reporting on the fact a picture is found on Picasa.

25 Sep 2010