Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning powerpoints > powerpoint size    

powerpoint size

perma
Greece

powerpoint size

Hi!
I �ve made a powerpoint presentation which I �d like to upload here, but I �ve got a problem with the size. Although the pictures it contains do not exceed the 500 Kbytes all together, the ppt file itself is over 10MB Geek
How can this be? 
First I compiled the presentation in pptx, it was just 700MB.
Then i saved it in ppt format, Ooooooops! 10.5MB !!!!
I do it all from scratch in �93 powerpoint. I check the images one by one to see their size and not one of them is over 120KB (5 photos only)
Result: again 10.5MB.
Why? What can I do to reduce the size? Apart from the photos there is a standard microsoft office background and some text boxes. Nothing special.

25 Sep 2010      

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

sound can increase the file, also if you used word art that too. try to reduce the size of the pics more, you can use free photo size reducers, you can find some free online.

25 Sep 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

i had the same problem, until I realized that it was the background of the slides that was too heavy! i changed the background to the simplest one, and then... everything was fine!!!
have a nice week-end
Elodie

25 Sep 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Try a different template. They can sometimes be up to 2 MB!

25 Sep 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

I was doing a wrong thing in my wss, which Liz helped me correct - I was not inserting the pictures, but copy-pasting them into the document. The result - an image which was 50kbs in size made my document be of almost 200kbs. Maybe it �s the same situation...Ermm

25 Sep 2010     

perma
Greece

Thanks everyone for your answers!

After your suggestions I did it again saving and checking the file size every time I added or changed something and it turned out that:
1) The template was indeed 2MB! Never would have guessed, it looked so plain!
2) I had inserted (and not pasted) the pictures anyway. The problem was elsewhere: I resized them inside the ppt. And although their original size was around 80kb, a slight resizing would make them huge! Up to 2MB. So I resized and saved the images before I inserted them and thus solved the problem.

This however, had not happened when I made the first presentation in pptx format. Generally the procedure was much simpler and faster. Really, I can understand  why some of you don �t upgrade for financial reasons. But the truth is that Office 2007  is much better than the �93 edition!

Thanks againThumbs Up

25 Sep 2010