Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > DOUBT    

DOUBT

mayrasiu
Mexico

DOUBT

Dear professors, I have a doubt about the word CANDY. I was taught that it is an irregular word that doesn �t have plural form, but now I �m not sure because I have found it sometimes in English exercises in some websites in plural form. So, can somebody tell me if "candy" is an irregular noun or not? Thanks for your help! 

26 Sep 2010      

dennismychina
China

I�d say candy is both irregular as well as regular much like fish, meat (especially cold cuts), fruit etc.
Enjoy.

PS. I hope this helps even though I�m not a professor :-)

26 Sep 2010     

wilwarin32
Argentina

The plural of the word candy is regular. However, it can be both countable and uncountable, that �s why you �ve come across it as singular. Uncount nouns are always singular but  candy is also countable and has a regular plural form.
bye!
Luj�n

27 Sep 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Hi Mayra,  I think the difference is in the use of the word in Am Eng and Br Eng.  In the UK, we don �t  use the word �candy �; we use the word �sweets �.  So we �d talk about buying a box / tin / packet / 100g of sweets.  We do, however, have a particular kind of confectionary called �sugar candy � and also one called �candied peel �. (The latter is used in cake making.)

27 Sep 2010     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

On this topic, would people please tell which of these sentences is OK, and which not:

Please may I have a candy? (meaning 1 piece of candy)
Please may I have some candies? (meaning a few pieces)
Please may I have some candy? (meaning a few pieces)

27 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Please may I have a candy? (one )

Please may I have some candy? (more than one)

I wouldn �t use the second sentence in your example above, but candies can be used this way:

Find the best selection of candies from the largest online bulk candy store at wholesale prices here at Candy.com. We have chocolate candy, candy bars,

27 Sep 2010     

yanogator
United States

In the US, we would usually say, "May I have a piece of candy, please?" (We usually use "please" at the end, not the beginning).

Here in Cincinnati, there is a store that has a huge variety of candies. (Here it means different kinds of candy - chocolate, hard candy, different gummy shapes, etc.). This is similar to the use of "fishes". We are more likely to say different kinds of candy or different kinds of fish. So, both "candies" and "fishes" are correct plurals, but are not very commonly used.

I hope this hasn �t confused you too much.

Bruce

27 Sep 2010     

mayrasiu
Mexico

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL OF YOU WHO TOOK THE TIME TO HELP UNDERSTAND BETTER THE USE & CORRECT GRAMMAR OF THE WORD "CANDY". I appreciate it A LOT!!! :)

27 Sep 2010