Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Fish vs Seafood    

Fish vs Seafood

viggia (F)
Italy

Fish vs Seafood

Hello there!

Can anyone tell me exactely the difference between the two?

Thank you in advance for your preciuos help!

Cheers
viggia

1 Dec 2008      

Greek Professor
Greece

HI...
according to the babylon dictionary:

fish
n. type of cold-blooded aquatic animal with fins and scales; other aquatic animals (Informal); flesh of fish; fellow, guy (used in combination - i.e. odd fish, queer fish)
Seafood
Seafood is any sea animal or seaweed that is served as food or is suitable for eating, particularly seawater animals, such as fish and shellfish (including mollusks and crustaceans). By extension, in North America although not generally in the United Kingdom, the term seafood is also applied to similar animals from fresh water and all edible aquatic animals are collectively referred to as seafood.

1 Dec 2008     

nandaagon
Portugal

I think fish is the animal, seafood is the fish we eat.

1 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

In the context of eating out:

Fish = any variety of fish including shark, gurnard, snapper, salmon, trout etc Can be fresh or salt water.

Seafood = all shellfish (oysters, scallops, mussels, abalone, clams, etc), calamari (octopus), and anything else you get from the sea that isn�t a fish or plant (i.e. seaweed)

I hope that helps.

1 Dec 2008     

dennismychina
China

Hi Viggia,

Spot on Prof and Vikkii your right about fish, it can be either fresh or salt water.

Technically seafood is any sea animal or seaweed (plant) that is edible. Although generally when one speaks of seafood one refers to shellfish (crustaceans) and the squid family. You wouldn�t say to a date for example lets go out for seafood dinner and take him/her to local fish and chip shop. Another example is seafood paella, a dish which could include all three types of sea animal. (ask our Spanish members about paella, mmmm my mouth waters just thinking about it).

I hope that that makes it a bit clearer than mud.

Enjoy,

1 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Hey Dennis

in Oz you could take your date out for a seafood dinner - fish, chips, prawns & calamari while sitting on some bonza beaches!

As a chef (18 years experience including classical French & Italian) I�m used to defining seafood as any edible plant or animal from salt water/sea/ocean environs. This means that �fish� can be a subset of �seafood�, but not always(see below)!

Fresh water crustaceans (yabbies, for example) & fish are not seafood!

Cheers,
B-)

1 Dec 2008     

dennismychina
China

Your right Alien Boy.
In South African we have similar places, nothing better than having a seafood �braai� which you call a barbeque. Or a calamari and sloppy chips roll. Or stuffing crayfish tails into a kelp stem and cooking it over the coals. But I�m not a Chef, just a lover of the sea and most things in it.

1 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Oh, that sounds beaut! I really miss beaches now I�m based in Saitama for the next squillion years...

... and you really don�t need to be a chef to appreciate great food, fine drinks (I�m quite fond of some wines from SA) & great company (definitely the most important of them all!)

Star  Merry Almost Christmas!  Star

1 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Alien Boy ever tried Chilian Carmenere?

It is a wonderful and i believe unique wine!  Originally from France where it was wiped out by some disease, then rediscovered in little ole Chile where they really know how to grow a Vino tinto!!

1 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Hi Vickiii!

Sure have - several years ago when I worked in a wine bar in Melbourne! I love good red wine & certainly like the rich reds from Chile!

If you can recommend any specific labels, please feel free to message me.

B-)

2 Dec 2008