Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > NEW DEBATE!!!!! WOULD U RECOMEND YOUR CAREER?    

NEW DEBATE!!!!! WOULD U RECOMEND YOUR CAREER?

valfairyrose
Uruguay

NEW DEBATE!!!!! WOULD U RECOMEND YOUR CAREER?

NEW DEBATE!

Would you recommend a career as a teacher to your friends, relatives or children?

29 Sep 2010      

yulya_esl
Ukraine

LOLIt would depend on a person, but YES!!!Thumbs Up

29 Sep 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I �ve been teaching for 20 years and yes, I would still recommend my career.

But...

I would be realistic. Teaching requires a lot of volunteering in the sense that you are not paid all the hours you put in to get your classes ready. If you want to leave school with nothing to do or think about, then teaching is not for you.

You have to choose any job for the right reasons. Where I work, you have to teach 35 years to get your "full pension". If you don �t like it, you �re gonna be sad/frustrated/tired for a very long time.

29 Sep 2010     

_babz
Canada

NO!

For many years now...I �ve been telling my students to avoid teaching....

When students ask me why you became a teacher: I always respond: Cause I �m crazy...

don �t get me wrong....I enjoy teaching...and I have no regrets, but in every school, in every part of the world.....teachers are the most neglected university graduates....and teaching is no longer teaching, with all the administrative bull**** that has been imposed on us...we �ve become secretaries, school psychologists....mothers and fathers.....AND ALL THAT, for what?
 Most of us can barely afford to pay our bills...

so, again...HECK NO!
Stay away from it....(with all due respect my wonderful colleagues)

29 Sep 2010     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Clap babz!

29 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

....If only one could just teach without all the madness, political correctness and paperwork! Ermm

29 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Maybe. It takes some special people skills and dedication to become a successful teacher. Just being able to speak English doesn �t make an English teacher. 

Btw, many seem to underestimate the effort that goes into the whole process as well. They think it �s easy to stand in front of a classroom and do your thing. Okay, I think it �s not that difficult (for me), but they should try it once and see what it �s really like.

I �d only recommend it to people who are truly dedicated and really love working with people (not just claim that they like it), and who don �t just have an idealistic or simplistic view of it.

29 Sep 2010     

Bare
Croatia

Well, I think I would because being a teacher makes me happy.

I had moments when I was fed up with some things and thought that a calmer  job would be just fine but then...I realsed I would be bored to death. Finally, I love it. That �s what I am ... what I have become. I �ve been teaching for 20 years and my work has changed me , that �s also true ( my daughter says that I �ve become a control freak LOL  and I know I talk too muchTongue). What about you? Do you feel that you have changed ?

29 Sep 2010     

Oksanochka
Ukraine

I love English and I love teaching English. I have been teaching for 6 years, and sometimes I tell myself "Maybe you should try something different", but the answer is always "no". I do not work at school. I tried several years ago, but didn �t like the experience. Too many unnecessary stupid rules and regulations. Too much paperwork. Too little time to actually teach. I had only 25-30 minutes to DO something.  I prefer giving private lessons. Thus I have an hour dedicated to English. We use a computer, do many online exercises, talk, play games, watch videos. In our little town I wouldn �t be able to do this at school or afford myself to print all these wonderful worksheets for everyone. My pupils love them. Even the senior puplis say that now they are beginning to love English (they love colourful worksheets). I can choose the time for work, what to teach and in what order and for how long. I choose how much I want to be paid. I don �t mind the enormous amount of time I spend getting ready for the lessons. Well, it �s actually all my free time. Sometimes I need to remind myself that I �ve got a baby, and a husband, and friends and relatives who also need my time and attention. But I love my job.

29 Sep 2010     

MartaZ
Poland

I reckon I would recommend it after all. Though it is definitely true that not everyone is meant to be a teacher. I also wonder from time to time what it would be like doing sth totally different but then I realise how much I love teaching, working with people, getting to know them, seeing their progress, finding better ways of explaining, new ways of making things more fun.
I don �t teach at school any more. I �ve made up my mind and now teach very small groups or individual students - no huge classes. I love it this way. I �m independent, paperwork is very limited and all my students are learning because they want to learn, or because they just enjoy it! This is really important for me and this is what makes teaching a great experience for me. Had I continued working at school, I would �ve lost probably all of my enthusiasm by now... ;)

My happiest moments are when a student tells me that I �m the best teacher they �ve ever had, or when recently a 10-year-old girl said she could have a lesson with me every day. And it is for these very moments that I want to carry on teaching! They boost your energy immediately! It �s so rewarding!

Good luck and thanks for your effort to create the great worksheets (I still can �t make them so visually attractive but I �ll improve ;)

29 Sep 2010