Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day    

Word of the day

ELOJOLIE274
France

your "bombe" looks very tasty...

29 Sep 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I �m sure it means to be a relative to the one and only
Tom Bombadil from The Hobbit.

For those who �ve read all the books by Tolkien - you know this for a fact!!Big smile

Here �s a picture, in case you forgot!
Tom Bombadil

29 Sep 2010     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Bombilation = Bomb + inflation

I think it means a bomb ready to explode ... ehhehe LOL

29 Sep 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

since Sue is interested in this particular product - and i �m sure she �s not the only one, right girls?
here is some useful information:
first tested on cats - see picture - the bombilation should appear in pharmacies in May 2011 - just in time for summer - in the US first, then in Europe and finally in the rest of the world. To know more about the bombilation please visit www.fakeproductstomakeyourlifeeasier.com

29 Sep 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

a humming sound.

29 Sep 2010     

mimau
France

Because all women on Earth are sweet as music can be and georgeous as bombshells only....Our world at times turns to be ....a bombilation for you and me!

29 Sep 2010     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Bombilation: the collective noun for a group of percussion instruments ergo, a bombilation of drums.  Similarly, a titillation of timpani, a trillillation of triangles.

29 Sep 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

My choice for the winner(totally subjective and arbitrary) of today �s Word Game is Philip R.
Bombilation: adroning or buzzing sound; a loud sound.

His entry:It �s what Taliban commanders or other terrorist leaders say when one of their number has successfully blown up something - if they �re around to hear it of course.

Bombilations, dear (name of the culprit), right on target!

After that, they might sing a slightly adapted version of the song:

For he�s a jolly good fellow (3x)
Which nobody can survive!

I didn�t look in the dictionary, I swear!

Thanks everyone for participating!

29 Sep 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Bombilation

A very large number of teachers on ESLP are extremely highly qualified linguists and should be complimented.  Why?  Because hundreds of thousands of them can speak a �foreign� language, (apart from a few in the USA and Australia who speak only English).  Even their children are fluent in the language!

By contrast, few English people can manage anything more than �Zwei Bier, bitte!� (�Two beers, please!�) when they take their annual holiday on the Costa del Sol, in Greece.

Not content with learning one language, huge numbers of overseas teachers have learned a second language, English.

This ESLP site encourages investigating English, by promoting the game �Word of the Day�.  When I say �investigating�, no laws have been broken,

but I offer a word of warning.  Discourse analysis is not easy!  (Even I had to use the spell-checker twice!)

Those of you who own the English cassette, �Speak in a Week� costing �557, published by Charlatan Press, agree that it�s very educational.  (After buying it, most people say, �That�s taught me a lesson I�ll not forget!�)  I remember the author, before he was a Doctor of Languages, when he toured theatres with his toothless budgerigar - �An Act that always Sucks Seeds!�

So remembering his linguistic advice, I am in a position to examine the unsavoury word �Bom-bil-ation�.

The first syllable �Bom� refers to an Anglo-Saxon word for a part of the anatomy.  For those with a sense of delicacy, please forgive my directness.  It is mentioned in the medical term: �Trauma in the Gluteus Maximus!� (�A pain in the backside!�)

The second syllable �bil� has Norse connections, leading to �bile�, �byle� or �boil� (�a very large infected eruption on the skin�; a �furuncle�).

The final syllable �ation� comes from Latin through the Italian word �azione� (�action�).

Once again, I apologise for the indelicacy!

�Bombilation = �The action of getting a boil on your bum!�

Les Douglas (ldthemagicman)

30 Sep 2010     

< Previous   1    2