Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > rules for conversation    

rules for conversation

potentina
Spain

rules for conversation

Hi everyone!
Tomorrow I �m doing a speaking class. Students will be put in groups in order to talk about different topics  but  I want to give them first some rules, if not it will be very noisy or they may get stuck if they feel they cannot say a word. Can you give me a hand with the rules? Because I cannot find any help in internet.
These are the ones I can think at the moment in order to help them and keep the class organized:

1. Think twice before you speak
2. Respect others � speaking turn.
3. Listen carefully and ask if you don �t understand something.
4. Hand up your hand if you want me to help you.

29 Sep 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

You mean - 4. Put your hand up/Raise your hand if..., right?Wink
How about:
5. Don �t all speak at once.
6. Ask your colleagues questions to stimulate conversation.
7. Include everyone.
8. Speak clearly and with respect.
9. Always state arguments for your opinion.

29 Sep 2010     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Listen twice as much as you speak.  I hope that makes sense.  Remember we have 2 ears, but only 1 mouth.

30 Sep 2010     

SueThom
United States

What about asking them to come up with the rules themselves? Aside from being more invested in what they �ve developed themselves, it�s interesting because it�s an authentic problem they can solve, not just classroom make-work.  Plus, they �ll get practice speaking as they negotiate their choice of rules.

30 Sep 2010     

jayababu
India

It is really a good idea to ask the pupils to generate theitr own rules and regulations. it is something like writing their own class room constitution. encourage them to have a open talk (can we call it discussion?) and find out what all could be included. Be around while they do this and guide them if necessary. But i prefer you dont interfere in any way.

30 Sep 2010