Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Insurance    

Insurance

yetigumboots
Germany

Insurance

Hia everyone. Here is a quick question for all you teachers who are self employed. What kind of insurance do you have?  I am giving private lessons in Kindergartens here in Germany and always presumed that I was insured by the intitution that offers the course. The question came up at the parents evening and I was not sure how to answer them. Does anyone know the laws on these things. (Germany)
Any help would be apreciated.

Thanks Yeti x

30 Sep 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

I don �t know about Germany but I can tell you how it works in France:
- the parents of your pupils have to have an insurance -  for example it can be used if one pupils hurts another one...
- the school also has an insurance - in case there �s a fire/flood in the school and pupils are hurt... or if a student gets hurt in PE...
- the teacher have to get an insurance as well - in case the teacher hurts a pupil, or if the pupil hurts himself and the parents accuse the teacher of carelessness/negligence.
- now the teacher can also get a special insurance to help them face violence: this insurance will help them if they are injured/insulted/threatened by a pupil, if there �s a trial involving a teacher and a pupil (no matter who accuses who)
does it help?
have a nice day
Elodie

30 Sep 2010     

millmo
France

Hee,Hee,Hee ELOJOLIE274! That �s the France we all know and love! But you did forget the insurance for the insurance company incase they underinsured someone!

30 Sep 2010     

donapeter
Romania

WOW..... insurance!!!! We don �t have such things. I think.Is in France this insurance as the car insurance? If you hurt someone , he/she gets health care from your insurance? 
I thought that Yety asked about who pays him/her , her/his health insurance or something and his/her retirement money.

30 Sep 2010     

libertybelle
United States

I thought you had national health insurance in Germany.

30 Sep 2010     

yetigumboots
Germany

No I mean insurance if something happens while you are teaching the kids. Not sure what could happen...   my cuddly frog goes crazy...LOL  Do I have to get insurance for that or is it covered by the place I work? Even the kindergarten did not know the answer to that....

30 Sep 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

libertybelle, health insurance and insurance are 2 different things. health insurance pays the medical bills when you �re ill - but if you hurt someone (in a accident) your insurance covers over bills... let �s say a kid in your school hurts himself with scissors - his health insurance will make sure he �s treated and that his parents don �t have to pay any thing regarding the medical bills. but if the parents had to take some time off to go to the hospital, they can ask their insurance to help, if the kid is handicapped after his injury, the insurance can give the family some money - if it was an accident...
Yeti, you should call your insurance (who insures your car, your house...) and ask them!
have a nice day

30 Sep 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Ok - I get it.
I guess you are talking about liability insurance. That usually covers accidents, material damage and stuff.  I guess that would come under your own personal insurance.  As a home-owner - I have both liability and home-owners insurance, but I pay for all that myself.
If something happens at school, the school covers it.

30 Sep 2010     

Sarah B
Austria

I work at a private primary school in Austria and I have liability insurance which, in theory, should cover me if anything should happen to a child in my care and parents of said child decided to sue me for whatever reason. 

30 Sep 2010     

Mietz
Germany

Hi,
you should get a liability insurance. If anything happens to a child while under you care, you should be insured or it could be terribly expensive. It �s best to ask somebody who deals with insurances, but don �t take the first one.
Do you have health insurance etc? If you are self employed, then you are responsible for it. Same as pension insurance. If you skip them, they can be nasty, too.
Hope I could help.
Mietz

30 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Just don �t sit on any toddlers and go easy on the corporal punishment and you should be okay.

30 Sep 2010