Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > chewing gum...    

chewing gum...

silvia.patti
Italy

chewing gum...

Dear colleagues, my students chew during the lesson and I don �t know how to persuade them to stop. The first days of school I asked them to throw it away but everyday when I enter the class I see some of them chewing... I am tired to repeat the same thing every time and moreover some of them try to cheat... So today I didn �t say anything but I wrote their names in my diary. I think the notes to parents aren �t so effective...What can I do?

Thanks a lot
Silvia

30 Sep 2010      

pauguzman
Argentina

I don �t mind if they chew gum in class, sometimes I ask them some sweets. The problem is when they stick the gums under the desk or on their hair �s classmates.I �ve explained them that and now I have a nice atmosphere.

30 Sep 2010     

libertybelle
United States

In the USA and many European countries
chewing gum in class is not allowed at all.
I was never allowed to chew gum in school at all.

Not only is it noisy, looks terrible and is messy
 - it is also a sign of disrespect.
We �re teaching languages for goodness sake - who wants
to listen to someone smacking their gums???  (pun intended) Big smile

30 Sep 2010     

stexstme
France

Hi Silvia,

In my school - & many here in France- chewing gum in class is forbidden, & considered as a lack of respect...Soooooo, I do not have your problem, as - even if my students try sometimes...or forget about the school rules, they know they might get a detention ( Brrrrrrr!!) for not being �polite �. ( quote)

This might sound a bit ...strict ..to some people here, I guess! When I took some kids ( 14-15 year-old ones ) to the USA some years ago, they were amazed at their fellow American students �behaviour in class!! They had gums, sodas, even sandwiches during their lessons!!
Different countries - different cultures. :o)))
During a parents �meeting two years ago, I kindly asked one of my students to put her chewing gum away if she meant to talk with me. Her mum looked at me, & asked : � Shall I put mine away too ?? � ..... !
Wink 

30 Sep 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

I don �t allow chewing gum in class. I tell them it makes me feel like I am standing in a field, looking at cows regurgetate. On top of that, chewing gum seriously limits the ability to speak English correctly especially for those struggling to pronounce �th �. My students know I don �t allow gum in class so it usually isn �t an issue. If I do notice a kid chewing (usually when I call upon them to read or answer) they lose their turn and go to throw out their gun in the bin instead. I am in the fortunate position where having to forfeit their turn to read or answer is considered a real bummer so it is a pretty good sanction.

Something interesting that has come up lately: Some students claimed that chewing gum helps them concentrate, they claim that chewing gum is proved to alleviate HDAD issues???
Anyone heard about this one? (I, for now, told them that if they bring me a note form their homeroom teacher to that effect I �ll allow it but until then the no gum policy is in place)

30 Sep 2010     

heikeo53
Mexico

I don �t allow students to chew gum and I do tell them every time  they do to throw it away, nevertheless, I found this web page which might interest you.

30 Sep 2010     

mena22
Portugal

Hi! Although I �ve read about the "benefits" of chewing gum, including the fact that it makes students concentrate, every time I see a student chewing gum I ask him/her to throw it away. Besides, in our school that is not allowed, although I know some teachers do no mind having their students chewing gum during lessons. And Silvia, no matter how hard we try, there will always be a student who is going to try his/her luck...

Have a nice day,
mena

30 Sep 2010     

silvia.patti
Italy

Thanks a lot to everyone. In my school there are some teachers that allow chewing during the lesson, but as Marion, I have the sensation to speak to cows...

Silvia

1 Oct 2010