Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Bullying - advice, worksheet needed    

Bullying - advice, worksheet needed

salaskas1
Belgium

Bullying - advice, worksheet needed

Good morning everyone

Silly o �clock here in Belgium but could not sleep!  I wonder if you are able to help.  My colleague is teaching a small group of Italian students aged 8-10 and a new girl recently joined the class.  For some reason the majority of the girls are bullying her and it is effecting everyone in the group.

If any of my dear friends have any ideas on how to tackle the problem or a suggested worksheet it would be deeply appreciated.

They are all upper elementary learners of English.  As far as I understand all the girls have been spoken to and their parents but we are concerned about the situation getting out of hand.

Many thanks and hope you all have a happy Friday and a good weekend.

Huggles
Sal 

1 Oct 2010      

debk2000
United States

You may want to look here for some bullying worksheets:  http://www.eslprintables.com/buscador/buscar.asp?nivel=any&age=0&tipo=any&contents=bullying&username=&B1=Search

One in particular I like can be found at: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=443013#thetop

Hopefully someone else can give you actual advice for the situation (as I am a rather new teacher).

1 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

More than anything else I think it is important to talk to the girl herself and let her know that you see what see is going through and that you are available to listen...........
For anyone interested in the subject on a wider level...
There is an excellent Belgium movie out on the subject "BenX" (in Flemish with English subtitles) 
Jodie Picoult �s book "19 minutes" (which I am reading now) is definitely recommended.
A very strong movie on the issue is "child�s play" It is very heavy. It is not for young kids but it might  be possible to work with in high school for example.
I personally think it is extremely important to be super aware of the issue.

1 Oct 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

try going to google.co.uk and searching bullying - I know that the government, most schools and local councils produce information for parents, teachers and children about bullying. 

I have worked with this issue and one of the exercises i found most useful was brainstorming what constitutes bullying, how victims feel, why people bully, and what students should do if they witness bullying - basically to get to the conclusion that bullying is not acceptable to the group and should not be tolerated by them.  Bullying (any kind of physical or emotional intimidation) by adults would be a criminal offense and children (and adults)  need to realise how serious it is.

regards

1 Oct 2010     

mena22
Portugal

Hi! Here �s a website with wonderful (and useful!) posters on Bullying. I �ve used them in class.

Have a nice day,
mena

1 Oct 2010     

skittles
United States

If bullying is going on and you know about it, you need to put a stop to it immeadiately!! You need to let the students who are doing the bullying know that it will not be tolerated and their needs to be consequences for their actions.  On top of that you may want to do a lesson or discuss as a class, but please take action with the students right away, don �t leave this little girl to fend for herself.

1 Oct 2010     

salaskas1
Belgium

Just a note to all of you to say a very big thank you for your advice and very useful websites on the subject.  

At the school today the girls seems to have calmed down and were even playing nicely! The little girl in question was a lot happier, which is a great relief.  The girls were all addressed and advised that is it not acceptable behaviour and that there would be consequences.  I will pass all your wonderful advice and details on to their teacher to ensure it is covered in lessons.  

Thanks again for all your help and I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Kind regards
Sal x

1 Oct 2010     

salaskas1
Belgium

Just a note to all of you to say a very big thank you for your advice and very useful websites on the subject.  

At the school today the girls seems to have calmed down and were even playing nicely! The little girl in question was a lot happier, which is a great relief.  The girls were all addressed and advised that is it not acceptable behaviour and that there would be consequences.  I will pass all your wonderful advice and details on to their teacher to ensure it is covered in lessons.  

Thanks again for all your help and I hope you have a lovely weekend.

Kind regards
Sal x

1 Oct 2010     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Do you know about Pink Shirt Day in Canada?

Please look at this link about bullying:

http://www.pinkshirtday.ca/about/

1 Oct 2010