Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > word of the day    

word of the day

Mariethe House
France

word of the day

OMG! I won yesterday and am quite embarassed to have to suggest a new word!

Anyway, here �s Philip �s confirmation of my winning yesterday! it was nearly a shock from which I still have not recovered!

PhilipR
Thailand

(no subject)
Dear Mariethe,

You �ve won the Word of the Day Contest with your definition of �winklepicker �. This link provides the real meaning. You �re next to host the competition. Good luck.

(The proper definition was given to me by an old African lady and she can �t pronounce the letter"R")

"A winkle picke is a barbaic plastic sugey instument to pick winkles on old ladies � faces .

So here is the new word: flibuster

Remember you can �t cheat and give the real definition! You must try to be as creative and imaginative  as possible ! Thank you! Good luck!

1 Oct 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

hello!
first of all congratulations!

but i should tell you that you misspelt the word of the day:
you wrote "flibuster" instead of "flubooster"! shame on you!!!Wink
anyway, a "flubooster" is a little pill invented by naughty children to skip school: they take a red pill 30 minutes before leaving for school and they get all the symptoms of the flu!!! the parents think their children have the flu, tell them they can stay at home and rest and when the parents are gone to work they take the 2nd pill (a blue one) and the symptoms stop:)

have a nice day!!!
Elodie

1 Oct 2010     

donapeter
Romania

Flybuster (not flibuster ) - a sophisticated mechanism or device used to catch the flies in one �s house 
or - the second meaning : strong beverage for flies, they use it when having orgy parties and they need to prove they can ( LOL ) 

1 Oct 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Well, at first I thought you meant �filibuster � which is the person responsible for the breaking in of young female horses.....

....and after a bit more thought I �m still of that opinion. FLIBUSTER or FILIBUSTER???

1 Oct 2010     

valentinaper
Greece

Hi!
Congrats, Mariethe!
Let �s assume that fli- is another kind of spelling for "flea"...Wink
So, a flibuster is someone who busts fleas...something like a human pecticide...
Ha, ha...have fun!

1 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

flibuster: a flea with a badge, a flea police officer that "busts" other fleas when they commit crimes aka: flea sheriff, flea fuzz (or fluzz), or flop (flea cop)

Note: I generally do not visit ESLP on the weekends, so please don�t pick me to provide the next WOD.

Douglas

1 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

It �s a synonym for porc-starination.

1 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Oh I am so sorry!! You can �t ask me to do things like that : I always manage to do something wrong!! Embarrassed
So the word is not flibuster but FILIBUSTER  as Baiba kindly pointed out through a pm!!

So off you go on filibuster!

Mind you I will take the previous definitions into account for their creativity and originality!

Sorry for messing everything up and thank you for participating!

1 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

It �s another word for ladykiller, someone who busts all the girls (fillies (female baby horse)=on the block.

Just kidding, I know what the word means ;o))

1 Oct 2010     

Poohbear
Germany

Fili Buster is the little daughter of Dolly Buster of course.
Her real name is Filomena, but Fili is nicer and shorter...

1 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello everybody.

After reading the �Winklepicker� Posts from �douglas� and, �stexstme� criticising my Post in the �Word of the Day� competition, I have decided to take no more part in this competition.  I think that they believe that I scorn people who are not British or English.

My original intention was to take no part, but make no response.  Then I remembered the ignorant English expression: �There�s no smoke without fire�, which people use when they want to justify repeating unproven gossip about a victim.  So, any victim who remains silent is automatically judged to be guilty of the offence!

Reference has been made in the Forum to the apparent illiteracy of some of the Members.

Possibly I should have written at the commencement of each of my entries, �This Post contains several instances of IRONY�.  (�To write one thing but to actually mean something different.�)  This device is often used in humour, where the author writes �stupid things�, in the belief that the reader is sufficiently intelligent to recognise that the words that are written are not the true thoughts of the author, but are intended as a joke.  On reflection, I think that this belief was misplaced.

Quoting my Post and referring to me, a gentleman who has the same name as mine, �douglas�, writes, Mr Douglas says: "After all, it was we, the English, who invented time."  Sorry to burst your bubble, Sir Sandford Fleming was Canadian.

Members, do you think that the phrase: �It was we, the English, who INVENTED time" is meant seriously, or do you think that it is a deliberately stupid statement?  My true feelings are: �I believe that God made TIME.

Incidentally Douglas, the people of Scotland, where Sir Sandford Fleming was born, are proud that he devised/invented /thought of a system for STANDARD TIME and TIME ZONES, but I don�t think that they claim that he actually invented TIME.  Your Post, contradicting my stupid remark, appears to imply that he was the inventor of TIME.

I understand the phrase: �Sorry to burst your bubble� but I don�t know why you apply it to me.  If your intention is to say that I am a language bigot, separated from reality, I am dismayed.

I take comfort from the hundreds of adult ESOL students, men and women, from all around the world, who rush to embrace me in the canteen of the College where I teach.

However, If your entry is intended to be ironically humorous, Douglas, I apologise for taking offence.

Dear �stexstme�, French was the first foreign language that I learned, when I was 11, and I have loved the language and the people ever since.  I have generally found the French to be a courteous, kind, sensitive people.  Sadly, it was when I read your Post that I made my decision to leave �Word of the Day�.

Others have written in the Forum about the personal problems that many of our Members have, and the burdens that they carry in silence, and yet they almost always have a smile on their face.

Ella Wheeler Wilcox, the American poet, wrote the poem �Solitude�, the opening lines of which are:

�Laugh, and the world laughs with you;
Weep, and you weep alone�.

You are quite right when you say that my Posts are wordy.  It is a fault that I have.  I am sorry that they are so long, �stexstme�, and that this appears to irritate you.  But there is not a rule that says: �You must read every Post!� nor, �You must read it in its entirety!�  There is always the �scroll� wheel on the mouse.

You write:

�I feel you�ve got a problem with being British! ... Well, anybody would!�

I have no problem with being British � I am proud to be British.  I am proud of its language; its people; and their achievements.  I am also proud of the fact that I teach ALL of my students to have exactly the same feelings about THEIR LANGUAGE and THEIR COUNTRY.  Perhaps the fact that I have taken the trouble to learn most of their languages shows them that I am sincere in what I say.

I think that your phrase: �Well, anybody would!� is sarcasm, not irony.

To all the other Members, (especially the Dutch, whose language gives me such great joy), if I have inadvertently offended you with my Posts, I apologise, without reserve.

To the Members who have written to me with kind words, and especially on this occasion, to Mariethe House with her lovely compliment, I send you all a very big �Thank You!�

I wish everyone all the Very Best and success with �Word of the Day�.

Les Douglas

1 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >