Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Worksheet turn-offs    

Worksheet turn-offs

chrissmolder
Australia

Worksheet turn-offs

Hello!  I �m new to this site, but I hope you won �t mind my making a few suggestions.
When I skim through newly posted worksheets, there are some that I don �t take any time to look at.  These include:

*worksheets that look as if they won �t photocopy well (e.g. there is one right now with a light grey background and white writing--I could fix it but with all of the new worksheets on offer, I didn �t even stop to take a look)
*worksheets, etc. with vague titles (e.g. �worksheet � or �lesson plan �-- �worksheet � about what?)
*worksheets with spelling or other errors in the title (I realise mistakes happen, but I won �t bother looking if I suspect that the worksheet is going to be riddled with them).

It �s disappointing when no one downloads your worksheets, etc.  I just thought I �d mention some of my turn-offs.

Maybe you have some others...   Wink

2 Oct 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi!

I bet you �ll get some slightly nasty answers, however, I do get your point!! ;)

Very vague or absolutely ridiculous descriptions such as "gud worksheet" or "this is an excellent resource" (= users who speak in high terms of themselves and their work) really annoy me, because they make me think that either someone hasn�t put very much effort into their work - if it is their own work at all - or that they simply want to gather as many points as possible. Wink

Lots of mistakes also put me off, actually... So do too many colours as well as too many colourful images all over the worksheet! Some wss contain heaps of pictures, but very little (useful) content, unfortunately.

Have a relaxing weekend (despite some answers you will probably receive, because you�re a newbie and therefore not supposed to make any suggestions in some members� opinion LOL) - Silke

2 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

In fact I refrain from judging the wss themselves just because one that may be useless for me will be very useful for someone, and if the person doesn �t have the time or ideas to create his own, I guess he will take the time to format and get a friendlier print.

As humans we all make mistakes, and I have even found some in grammar books and since the wss are usually editable, as a native you won �t spend much time correcting, or so I assume. As a native Portuguese speaker I also make mistakes when using my mother tongue, why would it be different using a foreign language?

The title belongs to the author and it can catch our attention, but if the person only wants to contribute and is not concerned about points, he won �t spend much of his time trying to find a creative one. Fortunately we have the preview to check the content (the most important part - for me, at least).

I �d only ask members to provide a more complete description because sometimes we don �t download a ws only because we don �t understand the game or the teacher �s intention when he created it.

Have a nice day!

2 Oct 2010     

tw_karen
Taiwan

I also agree with the description.  If they can �t be bothered to put any effort into a description... well, I can �t be bothered to even look at it.

As far as spelling errors or grammar issues go, I don �t worry so much about them.  This is an ESL website, so there will always be a mistake here or there.  I just scan every worksheet before handing it to my students.  That �s the joy about having editable worksheets.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone.

2 Oct 2010     

chrissmolder
Australia

Sorry-not trying to �judge �, only to suggest Smile 

2 Oct 2010     

Gia Mel
Chile

Thanks for the suggestion... I always welcome suggestions... I know your intention was to help...LOL

2 Oct 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Watch out Chris, colourful backgrounds don �t necessarily print! I always use the Format -> Backgound to add colour because it does NOT print (whereas colours in Text Boxes do print - a nuisance). You might ask why we should use this feature at all. Well, it is a fact that adding some colour will result in a lot more downloads. People who use colour in text boxes, however, should provide a b/w version as well.

I disagree that we should never judge worksheets put online. We are all teachers after all and when a ws is full of basic mistakes (something which happens too often), we should let the author and/or community know. Either by PM to the author (and hope the mistakes are corrected) or comment under the ws, so other potential downloaders are aware of the mistakes (in order for this to be fair, comments left on wss should be editable, so it can be removed afterwards).

2 Oct 2010     

melahel7
Canada

I never understood the fuss about colourful worksheets.  From what I �ve been able to gather as information so far, a) a lot of you seem to have to deal with budget issues when it comes to photocopying b) some of you even have to pay to make photocopies.  That being said, I don �t see the point of making colorful worksheets.  As for spelling mistakes, we all make some, that �s the reason why my worksheets are all fully editable.  That way, I don �t have to stress over something I omitted.  Also, I always grin when I read "black and white included" when in fact it �s a greyscale version of the original file.  There �s no need to include that, any printer will print a colour version in greyscale.   Actually, the only thing that really bothers me is individuals stealing other people �s work or folks copying stuff from the web.

2 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Dear Philip:

If you think you are in the position to judge the work other teachers upload here, simply go ahead. I said (and it seems you haven �t been able to understand what I write for some days...) "I refrain from judging", the "we should never judge..." is your creation.

As a member you can do whatever you want, if you feel you�re able to and if you use common sense, of course.

As moderators we are not to judge quality, only to see if the ws fits the site rules. (Victor �s words).

Have a nice day / evening.

2 Oct 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

I think if members were only given free downloads for a certain period of time and the number of free daily downloads was reduced the quality of worksheets would vastly improve. More time would be spent making quality worksheets and activities, members would have to contribute to keep receiving free downloads.

2 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

So many good suggestions, some by new "bees", some by old "bumblebees" ;o)

2 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >