Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Grammar question!    

Grammar question!

josek
Argentina

Grammar question!

I want to know if the possessive case is properly used in the following example: "Chris �s letter" Thanks in advance!

2 Oct 2010      

coyote.chus
Spain

Hi Josek,
The rule says that you have to add �s to all singular nouns, even to those ending in -s, like Chris or Charles, so we would have Chris �s car, Charles �s house. In fact, we have St James �s park in London. But nowadays we see Charles � or Chris � more often (I guess it is a question of economy)

2 Oct 2010     

josek
Argentina

Many Thanks Coyote!!!!

2 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

The extra S is superfluous.
The extra S was used in older books and writings.
St. James�s Park is also an old name for an old Park.
Nowadays the possessive apostrophe comes after a name
ending in S.

The Jones � house.
Dickens�books are still popular.

2 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

About a year ago this topic brought on a LOT of discussion here at ESLP and there was no final agreement between the two camps (use it with an " �s" vs Don �t).  Wikipedia explains it pretty well with:

For most singular nouns the ending �s is added; e.g., the cat �s whiskers.

• If a singular noun ends with an S sound (spelled with -s, -se, for example), practice varies as to whether to add �s or the apostrophe alone. A widely accepted practice is to follow whichever spoken form is judged better: the boss �s shoes, Mrs Jones � hat (or Mrs Jones �s hat, if that spoken form is preferred). In many cases, both spoken and written forms differ between writers.

Strunk and White (a standard, but very old so they don �t really allow much for changes in the English language in the last 70 years) say to use an �s for all singulars, regardless of what they end in.

So I guess the choice is really yours.

Many people use the idiom "keeping up with the Jones�s", yet in other cases they say "Jones�" so I guess even us native speakers can�t really decide either.

3 Oct 2010