Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

stexstme
France

Word of the Day

Morning All!
Today �s word : EPANADIPLOSIS.

( Copied from Petra ;o) :Remember, this is a game... It �s not about posting the real meaning (we all can use the Internet!), it is not about the correct dictionary definition. It is about being witty and humorous or maybe wacky.

So, give it a try and post your personal definitions. The winner will be chosen on a totally subjective basis and will receive the priceless honour of posting tomorrow �s Word of the Day.
Have a nice Sunday!!

3 Oct 2010      

valentinaper
Greece

Hi!
Yet another word from Greek... (I know the meaning but that �s not the point!)
So, if I were to take a guess on this one, I �d say this:
Peter Pan (-PANA-) lost something (-LOSIS-) and is deeply sadened by the fact (-DIP-) LOL
Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!Beer

Valentina

3 Oct 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Morning to all....
Mmmm!!!
Well:
E : E!=IN GREEK WOULD MEAN   SO... 
PANA : AN INUIT GOD....
DIPLOSIS : MEANS FOLD IN IN GREEK..
SO THE GOD DID SOME FOLDING...
Probably helped his wife... or mistress fold the sheets for the ironing....

Have a Nice day dear colleagues...

3 Oct 2010     

kodora
Greece

"It �s Greek to me" ha,ha........LOL
Have a nice Sunday everyone
Dora

3 Oct 2010     

vickyvar
Greece

Do not have much of an imagination I guess!!!!!
It �s all greek to me too!!! hahahahah  :))))))

Have a nice Sunday!!!!
Vicky

3 Oct 2010     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

So, today I finally can contribute for the first time;o)

It �s a compilation.
E as an e-mail
PAN - a man in Czech language
A - and
DIPLOSIS - definitely some kind of modern Diplodocus (dinosaur)

So, the meaning is: A man and a dinosaur exchanging e-mails.

3 Oct 2010     

Redbull
Thailand

I would like to use my electroencephalographic mind but I can �t post pictures.

Takes the fun out of this because I like to use them for more indulgement information.

Can �t play without pictures.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOW Wink.

3 Oct 2010     

chokosaki
United States

EPANADIPLOSIS=Someone that thinks they are a dyslexic panda.

3 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

Ep-has to do with hair
Ana-  a woman �s name
dip- an idiot
losis- loses

Ana �s dip husband is losing (or loses) his hair.  He �s probably getting a big beer belly, skinny legs, and is turning grumpy too--ah middle age!

3 Oct 2010     

ituska
Slovakia

Hey, finally I can contribute, too... Of course I know, what it means LOL but there is a spelling mistake in the word... Shouldnt it be ESPANADIPLOSIS? Wink

Espana - Spain (obviously)
diplosis - double

So Espanadiplosis is a kind of disease... It is a complex name for extremistic spanish patriots who need to double-prove their nationality by state authorities. They usualy spend all day going from office to office and begging for another document proving they are Spanish.

Of course, there are the same patriots in every country, so there are plenty of names of such a disease, according to the nationality: e.g. Germanodiplosis, Americanodiplosis, Slovakodiplosis (this is my diagnosis Wink), etc.

Note: I DO NOT mean to offend anybody

3 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Sylvia, (stexstme), and Douglas,

After the �Word of the Day� Competition, featuring �Winklepicker�, I mistakenly thought that both of you, (and therefore others), had formed a bad opinion of me.

Since reading your kind letters, I now know that I was wrong.  I�m really grateful to you for removing the anxieties that I have had in my mind.

For almost a year now, I have been enduring difficulties, one on top of the other, from which there is no escape.  I eventually cracked.  When I joined ESLP, the response caused my confidence to rise.  It seemed like a light in the darkness!

Unfortunately, I mistakenly thought that the comments which were recently made meant that this light might be �shut off�.  I answered them in self-defence.

So Sylvie, please forgive my pompous response: and Douglas, I apologise to you also.

Thank you both.  Thank you also to Silke, Donapeter, Mariethe House, and to others who have written such generously kind messages about me.  I am so glad that the incident has proved to be a foolish misunderstanding on my part and I can continue my association with ESLP.  It has been like a therapy for me.  I am so relieved!

Once again, thank you for your kindness in taking the trouble to explain.

Les Douglas

3 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >