Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > copyright and story books    

copyright and story books

foreverjinxed
South Africa

copyright and story books

Hi there
I just need to check something...

I �m sure it says on "the rules" that it �s not allowed to use "copyrighted" images on our work.
I want to upload a PPT that has a cartoon that says "copyright" on it, but it was available for free on the net. I �m using the cartoon as a basis for conversation on the PPT. Is it allowed, or not?

Regarding storybooks...
I �m sure it say on "the rules" that we are not allowed to use images from story books, as it wouldn �t be fair. But I �ve seen plenty of PPTs here that use images from story books.
Can I use images from a story book, but change the words and add my own excercises?

Thanks for reading
cheers

4 Oct 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

here are the rules: http://www.eslprintables.com/rulesofthewebsite.htm
please read them and then, if you have questions post a new message on the forums... but i �m sure you �ll find Victor did a prefect job and that his rules are very clear!

4 Oct 2010     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

I had already read the rules before you posted them here, thank you.

Something that is not mentioned in the rules, but is mentioned on the report after every printable / ppt, is this:

It contains copyrighted images from .

So I think my question was quite valid.

Regarding storybook pictures, It says that one shouldn �t use images from other ESL books. If a story book is not an ESL book, then it should be allowed, right? But then the above comes to question again. Is it copyrighted?

4 Oct 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

Hi,
sorry but when you said (I quote) "I �m sure it says on "the rules" that..." I understood that you wanted us to confirm what was said in the rules...
anyway,
I think we �re not allowed to use images from a story book, since those images have a copyright too (check on the first pages of your story books, you should find a little
�, did you find it?)
about your cartoon, what you could do is include it but mention the source in the description of your ppt and include it at the end of the ppt as well... i �m sure it would be fine! or you can contact the person who publishes this cartoon on the web - probably the webmaster of the website where you found it - and ask him/her if you can use his/her cartoon in your ppt...
have a nice day!

4 Oct 2010     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

Thanks Elojolie

Yes, it �s strange how the "copyright thing" isn �t mentioned under "the rules," but is mentioned in the "report."

It �s a pity that we can �t use story book pictures. I think that when incorporated into a PPT, and after adding animations and one �s own words, that it could almost be considered "one �s own work"  ...or maybe not!

Thanks again
cheers

4 Oct 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi foreverjinxed
I �m not sure if you have read the whole stuff about rules and copyright; it �s very clear.

• Your contributions must be your own creations. You can use free images from cliparts or other free sources. You can also use images that you have subscribed to and paid for.

• Worksheets containing watermarked cliparts are not allowed and will be removed from now on.

• Please, don �t use pictures taken from other ESL websites or books, even if you add your own exercises.

Hope I have helped a little.
Linda

4 Oct 2010