Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HAVE BEEN TO and BEEN IN    

HAVE BEEN TO and BEEN IN

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

HAVE BEEN TO and BEEN IN

Hey guys...

I was working on the difference between "been to" and "gone to" with present perfect and a question came to my mind. I always see that difference covered in books and all, but somehow I find myself in doubt as to the use of "been in" for places, which I know I �ve heard it being said, but am not quite sure of its grammar rule.

Does anyone know about the right use of it? I mean, if it �s grammatically correct to say:

I �ve never been in France (instead of been to France).

Thanks for everyone who might be of a help in this.
Best regards,

Bruna.

4 Oct 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

with TO you add a different idea: the fact that you went from point A to point B...
but basically both sentences are the same, except for that small difference in the point of view: in France (you simply see the country) - to France (you see an arrow from your country to France)
is it clear?

4 Oct 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Hi, Elodie. Thanks for you reply.
That �s what I "get" from the sentences too. However, I couldn �t find anything for the grammar rules of use. (for the prepostion IN, I mean)

What I �d like to know is: Is it colloquial or plain correct to say it that way?

4 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

Both are grammatically correct.

4 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

"been in" and "gone to" are both correct grammatically as Douglas and Elojodie pointed out.
But there are differences in meaning at times.

"I have been in France for many years." - indicates permanence, you are still there.

"I have gone to France many times." - indicates a situation that is over but happens to reoccur.

"I have been in France when there are elections." - means you were there when it happened, probably from the very beginning.

"I have gone to France when there are elections." - means that you went there at the time there were elections; but you were not already there when they started. The usage here denotes that you were travelling to France during their electoral period, not that you were already there when they started.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Cheers,

4 Oct 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

Thanks my knight in shining armor (meaning Linda... LOL) LOL
And thanks everyone. I think I can make an explanation out of it now.

Wink

4 Oct 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

i don �t know if you can find what "IN" means but i �ve studied what "TO" mean - i can give you my sources but you might not know them: Lapaire & Rotg� - they are French linguistics who study the rules of the English grammar... however if you read French, I could send you my notes... although i must tell you it �s quite hard to read, even for a native speaker...
have a nice day/evening!

4 Oct 2010     

korodi4
Hungary

Check this page for the grammar explanation:

I copy example sentences that will solve your problem, I hope.

4 [intransitive] + adverb/preposition to remain in a placeShe has been in her room for hours.They �re here till Christmas.
6 [intransitive] (only used in the perfect tenses) + adverb/preposition to visit or callI �ve never been to Spain.

4 Oct 2010