Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > URGENT QUESTION " ON or BY"    

URGENT QUESTION " ON or BY"

cheezels
New Zealand

URGENT QUESTION " ON or BY"

I am with a friend right now who had something marked wrong in an English test.

I came here ON/BY foot.

Can BOTH be correct? Or which one is absolutely correct and why?

6 Oct 2010      

magneto
Greece

on foot is absolutely correct. It �s a fixed expression.

6 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

ON foot because when I walk, I stand ON my feet. English is an extremely precise language!Smile
But the best way to express this is: I walked to the cinema , the hotel, the park...Smile
Hope it helps!

6 Oct 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Good morning from Athens...
on foot it is...

agree with my 2 colleagues...

6 Oct 2010     

priorita
Ukraine

I doubt my colleagues� opinion. Take a look at this http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic19668.html

6 Oct 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Aaaa!....you know priorita has a point....

take a look at these opinions...

In the Siege of Leningrad article one can see the expression "by foot". I �ve always been taught the correct one is "on foot". Are, therefore, both correct ?

"On foot" is more usual, but there �s nothing wrong with "by foot."
Yep. Only difference I know of is a small one- if I �m standing around, I �m "on foot". Saying "by foot" indicates travel, just as you might travel by train or by car. But, "I went 20 miles today, on foot" is fine, as is "I went 20 miles today, by foot".
Good catch - actually, I think that "on foot" can be used as both an adverb and an adjective, while "by foot" is only an adverb phrase. So you can use "on foot" to describe someone: "a man on foot." But you can use either one to describe an action: "He came on foot" or "He came by foot."

Is "on foot" British? It sounds completely wrong to my American ear, in both cases given by Friday (standing around or travelling). I could say "I �ve been on my feet all day". For travel, I �d always use "by foot" or more usually "I walked 20 miles today".

6 Oct 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

I will pass this on to my friend. His teacher could not tell him why he was wrong, but that the answer was ON and not BY.

I have heard and seen both in written forms and while ON for me would be my first choice  I could not quite see why BY would be wrong.

Interesting!

:-)

6 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

It �s an interesting one - theoretically on foot is the grammatically correct expression but by foot is commonly used.  To me it, in many contexts, doesn �t sound out of place however I �d like to add that IMHO this expression is a bit old fashioned and many people use the word walk instead. 

I came here on foot  =  I walked (here) 

Cheers

Jayho
edit: Cheezels we posted at the same time - and had the same thoughts too

6 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

In the US, we wouldn �t use "by foot". We use "by" with vehicles (by car, by train, etc.)

We also wouldn �t use "on foot" as an adjective, as in Greek Professor �s example. We would say "a man on his feet", but not "a man on foot".

At least, that �s my experience,
Bruce

6 Oct 2010     

Apodo
Australia

We use I came by car, by bus etc, so perhaps it �s being used like that.

My preference is certainly for on foot.

6 Oct 2010     

source
Turkey

As far as I �m concerned , we use by for the vehicles...

By car
By train
By bus etc.

but we use � on foot �.

6 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >