Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > VOCABULARY PROBLEM...    

VOCABULARY PROBLEM...

aycamind
Turkey

VOCABULARY PROBLEM...

I need your advice to teach vocabulary of 8 - 12 years old students. I prepare lots of worksheets for them to review and practice the new words but many of them still have vocabulary problem. I use flash cards, charts, pictures and posters. But unfortunatelly they forget the them easily. I sometimes want them to write the new words 5 times at home????

Have you got the same problem with your students like me?
If so, could you please share your comments and solutions? Thanks in advance.

6 Oct 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

Flashcards, posters, pictures and charts don �t allow the students to hear the words. If you can add that dimension with say a Powerpoint presentation that might help. Do the students have computers at home? If so, send the PPTs on disks or flashdrives.  Hope this helps. Ed

6 Oct 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

I usually prepare some crosswords, word search for my kids who have problems learning new vocabulary and misspell words.

There is also another tool my kids always love.

This site here

http://www.toolsforeducators.com/handouts/

You can have them writing lists of vocabulary, according to the subject. They do it, as a homework, even when I don �t ask; they like to work with a computer and print their work in the end or save it and send me to my mail.

Have a look, hope this can help.
Linda

EDIT:

I also have a blog and a folder in Moodle where I upload all the PPT ( thanks Ed, for remembering ), the videos and songs, so they can watch them again, sing them again, well, they really seem to have fun with computers.

6 Oct 2010     

uyumlu
Turkey

you can try some games if they are motivated good enough they won �t forget

6 Oct 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

yes! and I think it �s because they don �t learn, either because they don �t want to, or because they don �t know how to...

writing the words 5 times at home would be useless... but you can try to help them learn:
here are some "how to learn tips":
- read the new words, close your notebook and count on your fingers the number of words you can remember.
- take a piece of paper, write the translation of each new words everywhere on the paper (in the middle, in the corners, on the left/right...), close your notebook, translate each word
- pair work: jumble the letters of the new words on a piece of paper (ex: ball => labl, sport => ptsro...), give this piece of paper to your classmate, solve the jumbled words your classmate wrote.
- WHEN THEY HAVE TO REMEMBER SENTENCES: on a piece of paper draw something illustrating this sentence, hide the sentences, write a caption under each little drawing.
- use the words in the sentences to create new sentences.

but i �m sure you can find maybe more "little exercises" to help them remember the new words/sentences they have to learn...

have a good evening!

6 Oct 2010     

lisa.weix
Austria

Last year my 5th graders gave me a hard time - not during classes, they are quite nice and well-behaved :), but they just didn�t study at home - not at all! So they were quite good at what we practiced at school, but they didn�t know the new words, and we don�t have the time to practice them at school all the time. So I decided to take the trouble and make so-called words-cards: English word on one side, German word+clipart (if possible) on the backside. They�ve improved a lot ... handling those cards is fun, and you can work using that filing system with 5 sections - those you got right go to the next section, those you didn�t go back to the first... If you�re interested, I can send you a sample to your e-mail.
All the best, take care,
Elisabeth.

6 Oct 2010     

aycamind
Turkey

Thanks for all my friends. It �s very nice to share your experiences with me. That �s why I love this site so much. Your advices are very important for me.

Dear Lisa, can you send a sample of your great idea and great work to my e-mail. [email protected]

Have a good evening. Hugs.

6 Oct 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

When I gave classes to 8years old, I made them make their own pictonary. I made them draw the word and than, the had to write it under the picture. They never forgot one of those words. I read once, that this should be done even with older students, but I don �t have any experience in this age range.

6 Oct 2010