Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > urgent help please    

urgent help please

kons
Morocco

urgent help please

Hi everybody,
Yesterday I asked about the difference between contrast and concession, but I got one reply which didn �t really help me, maybe because I didn �t ask the good question. Let me rephrase it, is there any difference between the linking words used to express �contrast � and those used to express �concession �? sometimes, I find �although � for example, used to express contract and concession at the same time. I �m confused because I can �t see the difference between the two. Can anybody hepl me please? I �ll teach linking words this afternoon. That �s why I need a response ASAP. Thanks in advance.

7 Oct 2010      

muriel12
France

Hi,
I usually tell students that a contrast is between two different elements/ people and words such as "whereas or while" express that notion:
Dan is from Dublin whereas Cathy  is from Paris. (There �s a contrast between 2 different people).
As for concession, there is a contradiction within a same element/person: Although/ even if Dan is from Dublin, he speaks French fluently. (one person only here: Dan).
That �s how I understand the difference between those two notions, hope it can help.  

7 Oct 2010     

kons
Morocco

thanks a lot muriel12, your explanation is helpful

7 Oct 2010     

serene
Greece

http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/although-versus-while.aspx

I hope this hasn �t confused you even more ...

7 Oct 2010