Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help    

Help

vlay
Peru

Help

Hello to every body:

Please can anybody tell me which of these options is correct?
at the weekend
in the weekend
on the wekend
Thanks in advance! Have a wonderful day.

7 Oct 2010      

vicky024
Argentina

you can say:

Are you doing anything over the weekend? (saturday and sunday)
Have a good weekend!
It happened on the weekend of 24 and 25 of april
The office is closed at the weekend(especially British) The office is closed on the weekend

7 Oct 2010     

vlay
Peru

Thanks vicky, but could be also right to say "in the weekend"?

7 Oct 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

In the US, we say "over the weekend" or "on the weekend."  I �ve never said "in the weekend."

7 Oct 2010     

millmo
France

In the weekend is not correct.

7 Oct 2010     

englishvoice
Oman

Hello,,,,
(in the weekend-at the weekend)both options are correct but ofcourse according to the context.Big smile

7 Oct 2010     

millmo
France

Sorry to disagree, but when is IN the weekend correct?

7 Oct 2010     

Zora
Canada

We �ve had this discussion before...and this should clear things up:

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=4823

7 Oct 2010     

cheezels
New Zealand

To throw a spanner in the works....

I know that IN the weekend is technically WRONG. BUT I just want to point out that it is used a lot in NZ and I have seen it used in Australia as well. Specifically in sports reporting.

The All Blacks are playing Australia in the weekend. In the weekend the All Blacks scored highly against Australia.

Is it right? No
Do people use it without thinking about it. YES.

Specifically also: What are you doing in the weekend? I �m going to Sara �s place in the weekend.

My explanation on why perhaps people from NZ say this is that we are influenced by British English, American English, Ozzie English, Scottish English and well.... we just make it up as we go and it stuck somehow LOL

Would I teach it as an option? NO and I am really careful not to use it when I am with students, but I know that I say it when talking to NZ friends and family.

HAHAHAHA classic! I just saw that you referenced my thread from ages ago! :-) The world of English teaching has taught me never to rely on my kiwi  English!

7 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

An appropriate link, Zora. Mainly because it shows how different English can be from one �corner � of the globe to another. (By the way, I particularly enjoyed the spectacle of one American slagging - even humorously - another American �s usage simply because they come from Oklahoma, the Appalachians or wherever, and have chosen to use - even humorously - their own non-standard dialect. Snootery knows no frontiers!).

Cheezels

�Kiwi � English is as relevant as Oxford or so-called �Home Counties � English (almost no native speaker outside the south of England, for example, actually gives a damn about the distinction between �will � and �shall � except for specific phrases). Dammit, if �in the weekend � is common usage in NZ, then it �s perfectly acceptable as a variant of English anywhere. Nothing �wrong� with it and this should answer millmo�s question as well. 

7 Oct 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

Hi again!

It just occurred to me that it IS, in fact, possible to use the combination "in the weekend" but not in the contexts mentioned above.  

It can be used if the word "weekend" is being used as an adjective, as in "I will see you in the weekend game."  In this circumstance, the preposition "in" is actually referring to the game, which one can play IN.

Thanks for making me think!!!

Your American friend

8 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >