Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > myself & by myself    

myself & by myself

Anglophil too
Morocco

myself & by myself

Hi everybody, can anyone tell me if there is a difference between  myself and by myself ? Thanks in advance.

8 Oct 2010      

kiaras
Mexico

HI,
ALL THE REFLEXIVE PRONOUNS AS MYSELF MEAN THAT THE SUBJECT AND THE OBJECT OF THE SENTENCE ARE THE SAME PERSON:
                                                       " I IMAGINED MYSELF IN THAT SITUATION."
                                                       " SHE HURT HERSELF WITH A KNIFE."

WHEREAS, WHEN BY IS USED, IT MAY EITHER MEAN- ALONE OR WITHOUT ANY HELP:

" HE HAS LIVED BY HIMSELF FOR 8 YEARS."
                                                       " MARTHA MADE THE VASE BY HERSELF."

8 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

There are four uses:

The subject and the object are the same, so it comes in the place of the objective pronoun:

I hurt myself slicing carrots.

Used to emphasize, after the subject:

I myself made the cake. (it can be omitted without changing the sentence meaning)

Meaning alone (used with by):

I live by myself. (= I live alone.)

Meaning without help:

I have to do my homework by myself. (I have to do my homework without anyone �s help.)

In this last case, by can be omitted:

I have to do my homework by myself. or  I have to do my homework myself. (without help)

8 Oct 2010