Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do you call the partner of the adoptive parent?    

How do you call the partner of the adoptive parent?

MarionG
Netherlands

How do you call the partner of the adoptive parent?

Hi everyone,
I have a question...
Tomorrow my 5th graders will have to write a bit about their own family and I �m a bit stuck..
One of the kids in my class is adopted and shortly after he arrived in his �adoptive � family (is that correct?) the parents split up. The kid stayed with his adoptive mom and she is now living with a new partner (male). How do I call that person? (He obviously is not the father and not even the adoptive father)

(of course if the kid goes for mom and dad that will be the end of it but I have a feeling he will want to indicate the complicity of the story)

10 Oct 2010      

deryalim
Turkey

it �s very confusing but I think his father is his adoptive mom �s ex husband... you can explain like that... but it �s so disappointing....:(((

10 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

No I don �t think that is it.. Maybe I wasn �t clear.
The boy obviously had biological parents but they are not in the picture at all. He was adopted by another couple. Subsequently this adoptive couple split up and the adoptive father dissappeared out of the boy�s life.
Now the boy is living with his adoptive mother and her new partner. My question is how to call this new man, the one currently living with his adoptive mom and him. (simply �the partner of my adoptive mom�? or is there a better term?)

(I don�t know either how to call the adoptive father that took off but I just pray he�s not going to want to mention him in his story, only the ones in his current �family unit�)

10 Oct 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

his adoptive mum �s boyfriend/fianc�/friend/partner - that �s up to you! but i would not use the word "lover", even though it �s the proper word, it �s sexually connoted and i �m not sure it would be appropriate...
have a nice sunday eve!

10 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

OK, thanks..
For reasons deeper than linguistics I hope he �ll simply go for �my mom and dad �
but I wanted to be prepared if he feels the need to be specific....

10 Oct 2010     

mariannina
Italy

My school children in similar situations (even the adopted ones) call their parents �  partners "my mother �s fianc�"/"my father �s fianc�"!
I hope it �ll be of any help.
Ciao Hug 

10 Oct 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I �ve heard:
�mum and my new dad �
�mum and her boyfriend �
�mum and my step-dad �
�mum and her partner �

So he could say �my adoptive mum and....(one of the above) �, but usually kids stick with just mum, rather than adoptive mum.

11 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

He �ll probably just tell you what he calls him.  He might even call him by his first name which is very common here.  Other than that, what Apodo described is how many children here describe these situations. 

Last year I had a child who in a family of four kids (with a fifth on the way), each kid had a different dad and some of those dads were still in regular contact with the family.  They were just called by their first name.

Cheers

Jayho

11 Oct 2010     

wakebeauty
Brazil

Maybe �adoptive stepfather �, hum?!?! Coz the the first one is real adoptive father, maybe he �ll not be the father, but was the one who fought for him...

11 Oct 2010