Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What is the differnce in the meaning?    

What is the differnce in the meaning?

baiba
Latvia

This is possibly a trap where all non-native speakers fall into. We know the rules but we do not feel the language.
For me I forgot doing something is perfectly clear and understandable.
No one from the UK has given their opinion. What if it is only British?

11 Oct 2010     

Sahumah
Mauritania

I do not know how to thank you for your replies and great help. Hug 

I showed this website page to my colleages cause we had this argument yesterday.

Well,it looks like there is more than one answer. So, to be in the safe side,maybe we shouldn �t use forget with the gerund. But to give your students all the sides, i mean the full lesson and educate them more you need to explain all possiblites then say some people agree while some do not. What do you think?

Let �s see people from the UK like what Biaba suggessted!!

I feel like something is not ok with: I forgot locking the door but I just can not tell what exactly. ELOJOLIE274 gave me some good explanation!! Zora also drew the attention to another side.

But to sum up, some Engish books say YES we can use the gerund after the verb forget while some say NO. So is this a difference between the American English and the British English?

Smile Thanks

11 Oct 2010     

yanogator
United States

Maybe this is a US/UK difference, as has been suggested. I agree with my countrymen that "I forgot locking the door" is not common here. I would say "I don �t remember locking the door" or "I forgot that I had locked the door".

I don �t know if the link that Zailda gave is US or UK usage. Also remember that not everything that you find on the internet is correct (such as our advice sometimes  Wink).

Bruce

11 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I don �t think it �s used only in UK because in fact I teach American English. And it �s a grammar rule, so the British / American may be the same.

The difference (if it exists) may be only on the usage. We have some grammar rules in Portuguese that we know but we simply ignore. Some spelling and phonetic rules are also ignored. Maybe the same happens with English speakers.

Editing: I sent a link because it�s easier to check, but it�s in my grammar book as well.

11 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2