Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Word of the day: Tuesday    

Word of the day: Tuesday

Mariethe House
France

I have been given the responsibility of "word of the day"  I hope I manage it OK till the end!

So , may I remind you: no dictionary definition Just your creativity and imagination are needed.
So, please feel free to enter your entertaining, witty and hilarious  definitions .

The word I have chosen is:

haecceity

12 Oct 2010      

Lindax
Ukraine

Hello, dear Mariethe!

Are you in need of a tip for hiccups?

1.����� Look at the Halloween section,

2.����� raise your arms aloft,

3.����� drink some water upside down,

4.����� hold your breath for 3 minutes.�

Take care!

12 Oct 2010     

adriennesmiles
Australia

haecceity

ha - a word of laughter

ecce - from the word eccentric

ity - a state or condition of being

so, haecceity is the state of being an eccentric person with uncontrollable laughter

12 Oct 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Hello all...

A!...hec..the city is on fire....

12 Oct 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

haecceity

HAEC standing for:
Human Artificial Episomal Chromosome

Ceity: city misspelled

so I guess haecceity means: a new city of artificial chromosomes!

Bere

12 Oct 2010     

Pelletrine
France

Hae - ancient spelling for �hay � as in �haystack �
also:  hae - short for haem : something related to blood
cceity - from the latin �coecitas � = �blind � ( we had to double the �c � to give justice to ancient spelling rules)
so it is a word related to the saying   " looking for a needle in a haystack �
What it really means is that it describes a person who, looking for a needle in a haystack, is unable to find it ..... even when blood springs from his finger when he stuck it onto the before mentioned needle : he can �t help it : he doesn �t see the blood..... and even less the needle.

12 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Haecceity

For those of you who are keen cryptologists and love solving secret codes, this word will be meat and drink to you.  (It is a medical fact that cryptologists eat very little).

As a cryptographer you will know that words written with black, octopus ink, on solid carbon-dioxide, are totally undetectable at room temperature, (because the carbon-dioxide changes into a gas!)

This fact, and the key to numerous secret codes, was known to many ancient warrior families: Alexander of the Great�s; Ghengis of the Khan�s; and Immanuel of the Kant�s.

The word is �haecceity�.

Immediately, we realise that this is an artificial word.  (It conceals a message, to be tattooed on the shaved scalp of a servant who is sent to a distant land - Manchester, for example - where he waits until his hair grows again).

Members, what concealed words jump from the page and smack you in the face?  (Be careful, because many cryptologists also suffer from haemophilia, and bleed very easily).

The words �He�; �ace�; and �city� are very obvious.  No, it is not a coded reference to that excellent footballer in Barcelona!

The code is the ï¿½First Word Normal; Second Word In Descending Order; Third Word In Ascending Order; Code� --- or �FWN-SWIDO-TWIAO-CODE�, for short.

�He� remains the same word.  �Ace� becomes �King�, (�Queen�, �Jack�, �Ten�, etc).  �City� becomes �World�, (�Earth�, �Universe�, �Space�, etc).  The code is childishly easy when you know it!

And so, our message becomes: �He (is) king (of the) world!�

Les

12 Oct 2010     

Redbull
Thailand

Les,

That �s fan dabbi dozi    REDBULL GIVE YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink

12 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Word of the day: Tuesday (2nd post)

Mariethe House
France

I have been given the responsibility of "word of the day"  I hope I manage it OK till the end!

So , may I remind you: no dictionary definition Just your creativity and imagination are needed.
So, please feel free to enter your entertaining, witty and hilarious  definitions .

haecceity

12 Oct 2010       Edit topic

Lindax
Ukraine

Hello, dear Mariethe!

1.      Look at the Halloween section,

2.      raise your arms aloft,

3.      drink some water upside down,

4.      hold your breath for 3 minutes. 

Take care!

12 Oct 2010     

adriennesmiles
Australia

haecceity

ha - a word of laughter

so, haecceity is the state of being an eccentric person with uncontrollable laughter

12 Oct 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Hello all...

12 Oct 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

haecceity

HAEC standing for:

Bere

12 Oct 2010     

Pelletrine
France

cceity - from the latin �coecitas � = �blind � ( we had to double the �c � to give justice to ancient spelling rules)
What it really means is that it describes a person who, looking for a needle in a haystack, is unable to find it ..... even when blood springs from his finger when he stuck it onto the before mentioned needle : he can �t help it : he doesn �t see the blood..... and even less the needle.

12 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Haecceity

For those of you who are keen cryptologists and love solving secret codes, this word will be meat and drink to you.  (It is a medical fact that cryptologists eat very little).

As a cryptographer you will know that words written with black, octopus ink, on solid carbon-dioxide, are totally undetectable at room temperature, (because the carbon-dioxide changes into a gas!)

This fact, and the key to numerous secret codes, was known to many ancient warrior families: Alexander of the Great�s; Ghengis of the Khan�s; and Immanuel of the Kant�s.

The word is �haecceity�.

Immediately, we realise that this is an artificial word.  (It conceals a message, to be tattooed on the shaved scalp of a servant who is sent to a distant land - Manchester, for example - where he waits until his hair grows again).

Members, what concealed words jump from the page and smack you in the face?  (Be careful, because many cryptologists also suffer from haemophilia, and bleed very easily).

The words �He�; �ace�; and �city� are very obvious.  No, it is not a coded reference to that excellent footballer in Barcelona!

The code is the ï¿½First Word Normal; Second Word In Descending Order; Third Word In Ascending Order; Code� --- or �FWN-SWIDO-TWIAO-CODE�, for short.

�He� remains the same word.  �Ace� becomes �King�, (�Queen�, �Jack�, �Ten�, etc).  �City� becomes �World�, (�Earth�, �Universe�, �Space�, etc).  The code is childishly easy when you know it!

Les

12 Oct 2010     

Redbull
Thailand

Les,

12 Oct 2010     

12 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Mariethe House
France

haecceity

12 Oct 2010       Edit topic

Lindax
Ukraine

Hello, dear Mariethe!

1.      Look at the Halloween section,

2.      raise your arms aloft,

3.      drink some water upside down,

4.      hold your breath for 3 minutes. 

Take care!

12 Oct 2010     

adriennesmiles
Australia

haecceity

ha - a word of laughter

12 Oct 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Hello all...

12 Oct 2010     

Ide_Bere
Mexico

haecceity

HAEC standing for:

Bere

12 Oct 2010     

Pelletrine
France

12 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Haecceity

The word is �haecceity�.

Les

12 Oct 2010     

Redbull
Thailand

Les,

12 Oct 2010     

12 Oct 2010