Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Teaching an adult    

Teaching an adult

stella1986
Poland

Teaching an adult

Hello!
I �m wondering whether any of you can help me out. My problem is that I �m gonna start teaching English to an adult of about 40 who has never before learnt English. I have no idea what to start with. I understand this course must be different from what is covered in the beginner courses for children or teenagers. Have you got any experience in this kind of teaching? Can you recommend any coursebook, give any tips?
I �d be very indebted for any kind of advice.
Thank you in advance. Ela

12 Oct 2010      

Michał_Macha
Poland

You might want to try In English Starter (OUP) - it �s as basic as it gets, and its adult friendly as well ;))) 

12 Oct 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I always begin with numbers.  I find it an easy way to break through, get to know my student and most beginners can handle 1 - 12 and then .... So I start with that and move onto food, restaurants, meals, etc.

Have fun.
Judy

13 Oct 2010     

Chafik Boufrioua
Morocco

Hi!

I recommend "New opportunities elementary". It �s a great textbook for adult learners. You will find it useful. If you don �t have the book, i can send it to you be email. Just send me it to me in a PM. I also got the CDs (audio).

If interested, just let me know!!

Regards
Chafik

13 Oct 2010     

MartaZ
Poland

Hi :)

With a complete beginner I �d probably go for �New English File � Beginner level. It focuses on basic communication right from the beginning. It �s also very teacher-friendly with lots of photocopiable materials to practise grammar, vocab and communication (usually pair work).

Good luck!
Marta

13 Oct 2010     

lizamuni
Argentina

Hi Stella,
I agree on choosing New English File Beginner and if your work in private lessons only with one student use flashcards and boardgames to teach and revise vocabulary and useful expressions.
Extra listening activities and videos are avaiable on the net and you can give your st homework with ESL (or other sites) on line or the New English File course CD rom with lots of activities.
Hope you have a great experience teaching to your new st!!!
Liza

13 Oct 2010     

EnioTigre
Argentina

Hi Stella,
I have adult students and I use New English File Beginner and I think it`s the best choice. I have the students book. In case you need it, send me a p.m.

Good Luck!!

13 Oct 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

i like Inside out beginner from macmillan.

but first I always start with I am Dawn, he is Paul, she is Francis etc. then where are you from?

13 Oct 2010     

stella1986
Poland

Thanks for your help, guys!!!! I found it really really useful. I decided to use the new english file coursebook but if it hadn �t been for your suggestions, I wouldn �t even known that it exists ;). Thank you also for your tips, I will definitely use them in my work. Ela

14 Oct 2010