Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Open Office    

Open Office

yetigumboots
Germany

Open Office

Does anyone have any idea why when I make a worksheet in Open Office (I dont have word on my computer)and save as doc.. when I try to upload it its all mixed up - fonts changed, boxes in the wrong place etc etc.. I am getting so frustrated when I spend so much time trying to do one and then I can �t upload it the way I want. boo hoo does anyone know about these things? Hugs a very sad Yeti xx :(

13 Oct 2010      

Mietz
Germany

I had the same problem and I �m afraid the only solution I could find (and I did try) was to get an MS-Office just for ESLP. Such sacrifices...
I guess the reason is, that that is exactly Microsoft �s intention. If they made a better compatibility available, more people would switch to OpenOffice.

13 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

You can buy the educational version of Office at a ridiculously low price if you work as a teacher at a German VHS or university. 

13 Oct 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

Is that so??? Lucky you! Office is always SOOOO expensive here...

13 Oct 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Yes, I upgraded from 2000 straight to 2010 professional for under 100 �.

13 Oct 2010     

Mallerenga
Spain

At home I �ve got one computer without word and what I normally do is putting everything into boxes and grouping them. Normally they don �t get that messy when I save them as a .doc document. Sometimes it is not the best solution but...

13 Oct 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

That �s great. The common one costs no less than that in Spain!

13 Oct 2010     

Jayho
Australia

I was able to buy it for a very cheap price (like 90% discount of the RRP) from my teaching institution (tertiary) as long as I use it only on the PC at home that I use for my job.  It �s a special deal for teachers and lecturers in post-secondary and tertiary institutions.  So perhaps check if your institution does the same.

Cheers

Jayho

13 Oct 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

No..., don �t think so...

13 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

When you create a document, save it as .doc and it �ll be OK.

Have a nice day!

13 Oct 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Even if you have Word the fonts will change automatically if you use unusual fonts which others dont have on their computers and be substituted for courier or arial or something similar.

13 Oct 2010     

1    2    Next >