Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Linkers    

Linkers

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

Linkers

Hello teacher,

I am correcting one informal composition, a letter to a friend, and my student has used the linker "Regarding" in the sentence "Regarding your big argument with Helen, If I were you, I would ....". Well, since "regarding" is a formal linker I have changed it for an informal one "As for your big argument with Helen, if I were you, I would..." Could you please tell me any other connector I can add to the composition as possible answers? Can we start the sentence with "About your big argument with Helen,...." or is "about" a litteral Spanish translation? Thanks in advance for your help.

14 Oct 2010      

libertybelle
United States

Regarding isn �t at all that formal. I use it all the time!!
Sometimes I just write: Re. 

You can also write, in regard(s) to.
That also works.

14 Oct 2010     

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

I have always taught my students that "regarding" is a formal linker!!! Every day I learn a new thing from this place!! Thanks a million libertybelle. If any other possible informal connectors bump into your mind, your answers are welcome!

14 Oct 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

In a letter to a friend, especially with young people,  I would go for �As for � and �About � as you suggest.  I don �t think many teenagers would use �regarding � (all my FCE prep students are high school students).

14 Oct 2010