Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Quick question     

Quick question

magneto
Greece

Quick question

Hello everyone!
Just a quick question. I �d particularly appreciate the help of some native speakers in this case.
I �ve found the following dialogue in one of my coursebooks.:
"You �re looking miserable."
"I was working on my thesis when my computer suddenly crashed."

Does "you �re looking miserable" sound correct to you in this context?
From a strictly grammatical point of view (...at least strictly grammatical the way I �ve been taught grammar) it sounds wrong to me; I �d use "you look miserable"...But how would it sound to a native speaker?
Thanks in advance for your help!
Have a great day/ evening! Smile

14 Oct 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

I �m no native speaker, but I can tell that this sentence is correct!
in that case, it means "right now, although you seemed fine a few hours ago", if you had put "you look miserable" it would have meant "lately you look miserable" so the answer would have been "yeah... I �ve been feeling depressed since I broke up with my boyfriend"
with V-ing you �re insisting on the fact that it �s not a permanent state, it �s something that is quite new...

have a nice evening!
Elodie

14 Oct 2010     

Pelletrine
France

- you �ve always been taught that it would only be correct to say "I always wear jeans" -Haven �t you?
Well, thats correct.

But, if my grandma says to me "You �re always wearing jeans!" ... I �ll know it doesn �t please her... at all ;o)

Sometimes you you use BE + Ving to show your feelings, whereas, grammatically, you would use a simple present.

So when you hear "you �re looking miserable" : the sentence is not neutral : it shows feelings towards the subject "beeing in this situation"
- hope it helps, sorry no dicoes arround, so, hope a native can confirm.

14 Oct 2010     

libertybelle
United States

It probably would sound better is it said:
You �re looking miserable these days - which is more common than your original sentence.
But it is not incorrect.

I agree that You look terrible or you look miserable is more common.

14 Oct 2010     

magneto
Greece

Thank you all for your quick replies!
Goodnight and hugs from rainy GreeceHug

14 Oct 2010