Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "The world is my oyster" - ??????    

"The world is my oyster" - ??????

helenarechena
Portugal

"The world is my oyster" - ??????

I �ve noticed that this expression is often used, but I �m not so sure about its meaning...
Can anyone enlighten me, plz?

15 Oct 2010      

yanogator
United States

My understanding of this expression is that the world produces good things for me. as an oyster produces a pearl.

Your picture looks like a card from the game Dixit. Is it? I have the game, but I haven �t seen this card.

Bruce

15 Oct 2010     

helenarechena
Portugal

lool
No, my picture is from Juan Moore, google him if you want! I had never even heard of Dixit :-)
Thanks for your help

15 Oct 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

�the world is your oyster � means that the world holds the opportunity for you to achieve whatever you want.

15 Oct 2010     

ICleasby
Australia

My understanding of the expression is:

That the world is full of opportunities. You have the world as your opportunity to do something great, derive advantage and/or great fortune.

Another expression similar to the one mentioned is:

The world is my playground. A world where you can have fun and enjoy life.

15 Oct 2010     

windflora
Turkey

It means "The world is where you seek your fortune."

15 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

It comes from Shakespeare - The Merry Wives of Windsor:
Falstaff: I will not lend thee a penny.
Pistol: Why, then the world �s mine oyster, which I with sword will open.

and has been interpreted to mean:

Getting the pearl requires the oyster to be opened. But despite the hardness of the oyster shell, they can be opened with ease. Oyster shells are held closed by a single muscle called the adductor. Oysters are shucked (opened) using a thin knife to cut the adductor muscle. Once the adductor is cut, the shell falls open.
If the world is your oyster then it is a place where you can get something of great value with ease.

I see it to mean that if you have the right equipment (i.e. Pistol �s sword) you can �asily gain great things (i.e. a pearl) that are difficult or impossible for those that don �t have the right equipment.  "With that a degree in English the world is your oyster, now go out and find your fortune."

Douglas

15 Oct 2010