Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > BA thesis    

BA thesis

iskierka1140
Poland

BA thesis

Hello everyone!

This academic year I �m going to write my thesis (3 rd year of English Philology BA). 
I have to decide which topic I will write on and it has to be topic devoted to linguistics. My problem is that I have so many ideas in my mind (also not connected with linguistics but rather methodology, dydactics) that I can �t focus on single topic. I have to note that writing thesis on linguistics is not what I dreamt about (it has to be like that due to some administrative matters at my university). I come up with the idea of writing about NLP (Neuro-Linguistic Programming), it could be an interesting topic. If you could tell me if this is good topic for my thesis (of course I have to relate it to wider aspect eg. NLP in the classroom, at work etc.)?Maybe you have experience in this field?or recommendations of full publications, materials on the Net I can make use of  ? Thank you in advance and have a nice day!

Regards

16 Oct 2010      

almaz
United Kingdom

@iskierka1140

What I can tell you about NLP is that it�s filed in The Skeptic�s Dictionary (Wiley) under �junk science and pseudoscience�.

16 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

I have studied NLP a little and used it to help some slow learners and it did help!
I have used it in other circumstances, to help people out of confrontational situations and there again it helped. So why not? it is a really interesting approach. 

16 Oct 2010     

iskierka1140
Poland

@Mariethe House

If you could tell me something more about it, it would be really useful. I should look for the teachers of English who have experience in implying NLP in teaching. In what way it helped the learners, what type of activities they used etc.

Thanks for any information. Smile

16 Oct 2010     

iskierka1140
Poland

@Mariethe House

If you could tell me something more about it, it would be really useful. I should look for the teachers of English who have experience in implying NLP in teaching. In what way it helped the learners, what type of activities they used etc.

Thanks for any information. Smile

16 Oct 2010     

lshorton99
China

Hi

I qualified as a NLP practictioner last year because i was interested in its educational applications. I think it has a certain validity in terms of motivating learners, particularly around exam time but I couldn �t give you a lot of concrete examples aside from visualisation exercises - learners would relax to soothing music and picture themselves in exams picking up the pen and knowing the answer. It �s very difficult to quantify the success of such techniques however.

Another way of using it is to get learners to be specific. For example, it �s common for them to say �i don �t understand anything. � I would then get them to quantify this - do they understand the the individual parts of a sentence. They might say they don �t understand the sentence �I don �t like fish. � (silly example). i would get them to admit that they understood the words �I �, �don �t � and �like � so in fact it was only one word they didn �t understand.

Hope that helps.

Lindsey

(Almaz - I �m hurt!!!!)

16 Oct 2010