Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY -     

WORD OF THE DAY -

ELOJOLIE274
France

love the definitions so far! i �m having a great time reading all of your guesses, so please ignore nandar �s "message" - it �s really not worth it!

keep playing!!!

16 Oct 2010     

adriennesmiles
Australia

Perhaps Nandar is subject to lalochezia or suffers from being maledicent. Either way, we should not galvanise him (or her?)...

sorry, I couldn �t help but being a philosophunculist right now....

Wink

16 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Gadzooks

Some of you may be misled, because the word, �Gadzooks!� sounds like a greeting used on special occasions ... ... �Merry Christmas!�; �Happy Birthday!�; �Where�s your Homework?�

There are lots of festivals in the UK.  The Scots have �Burns Night�; the Irish have �Cuts and Bruises Night�; and so on.

Sadly, the English idea of a Night Out is for the husband to take a walk to the local Fish Restaurant in the freezing cold, to buy his wife�s supper.

�Fish and Chips, twice!�  When the owner is the local comedian, he will reply �I heard you the first time!�

Possibly, if the proprietor is an amateur magician who does Card Tricks, he will put six fish on the counter in a row, and then perform his Cabaret Act.

�Pick a Cod, Sir!  Any Cod!  Don�t let me see your Cod, Sir!�

The husband trudges home to his wife, eats his Fish and Chips, then off to bed.

In Italy, the wife says, passionately:  ï¿½L�Amore!  L�Amore!  S�! S�! L�Amore�.  (�Love!  Love!�)

In England, she says:  �I think that Ceiling needs another coat of Emulsion Paint!�

So there we have, in a nutshell, (well, in newspaper, actually), a taste of a festive English evening, (with Salt and Vinegar), but without a �Gadzooks!� in sight.

Why?  Because �Gadzooks!� is borrowed from the Dutch: �GAD � zoeken�.  �GAD� is �General Anxiety Disorder�, or in Dutch, �Algemene Angststoomis!�

Because of the unpronounceable �st-st� in the middle of the word, the English prefer to say �GAD�.

�Zoeken� is the Dutch word, �search�, or �seek�.

�He searches, because he has a General Anxiety Disorder.�

(I�m sorry that this Post is so dolefully serious, but �We can�t laugh all the time!� as the constipated hyena said in the toilet.)

Do you notice how the English have borrowed so many words from Europe, particularly from the French?  This is one of the reasons for our coolness, (or sang-froid, as we English say), towards the French.  In the European Parliament, the French constantly ask if we will return the words that we have borrowed, because they are running short of vocabulary and are speaking less and less.  However, the English don�t normally return things that they borrow!

Nevertheless, the French conveniently ignore the fact that they borrowed the Anglo-Saxon expression, �Reply Swiftly, Very Promptly!� (�R. S. V. P.�), and changed it to: �R�pondez S�il Vous Pl�it!�

Examples of �Gadzooks!� are ---- newly qualified Teachers who join ESLP, and immediately, lose the ability to read phrases such as, �RULES AND INSTRUCTIONS�.

These Members submit Worksheets, and then, 60 seconds later, become anxious, searching for their Points, and every one of them asks on the Forum for help, again and again and again!

So there we have it: �Gadzooks!� = �He/she searches, because of a General Anxiety Disorder.�

I have tried to lighten this very serious subject.  Linguistics has many po-faced professors and consequently has many diacritics!  (The word comes from the Latin, �dire critics�).

Les

16 Oct 2010     

S.Reisner
Brazil

Its very simple: when someone sneezes, the people around are supposed to say: "Gadzooks"

16 Oct 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Les: ROTFL

Thank you so much!

16 Oct 2010     

Lucia13
Armenia

Books about gadgets:)

16 Oct 2010     

andreaartigas
Chile

for gadzooks!!!! Nandar�s language doesn�t belong to this wonderful community

16 Oct 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

gadzooks is misunderstood name of a beautiful stone summer house in the Highlands.
It is a complex of very old buildings - a cottage and a few outbuildings - a barn, a stable...
And yes... There is an alley of oaks :-)
I have to say I have been dreaming about this place...
It�s is a synonym for a beautiful soothing place where you can relax and have fun...

Have you been to Gadzooks recently? = Have you been to The Gat �s Oaks recently? = Have you relaxed recently?

16 Oct 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

I had a pretty hard time deciding who would win today �s game... But I chose Les because I love his witty definition!!!
thanks everyone for playing, you �re all winners today and I hope we �ll keep on playing like that for a long time....

take care!

Elodie

Gadzooks =

Etymology: Contraction of God�s hooks, with reference to the nails of the crucifixion of Jesus.

Archaic interjection
: An expression of surprise, shock etc.

Synonyms: blimey, crikey, goodness me, gosh...

to learn more: http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-gad1.htm

16 Oct 2010     

< Previous   1    2