Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > storing your ELT resources    

storing your ELT resources

Anusia
Poland

storing your ELT resources

I couldn �t find the answer through search engine so...
As probably many of you I�ve got loads of english materials : worksheets, flashcards, laminated game cards, dominoes, role plays etc. I�ve tried to find a suitable way to store them - labelled boxes, computer catalogues, books and many others but still I see only a mess - I can �t find the material when I need it, sometimes I forgot that I have such a game and as a result most of my meticulously prepared resources are not used at all.
How do you organise your ELT resources?

16 Oct 2010      

libertybelle
United States

I have a main folder called Education.
Under that I have made many sub folders.
for example.

games
worksheets
reading
listening
current events
teen problems
worksheets for the younger students
and more...............

and then I have a Grammar folder - sub divided into
adverbs
verbs
nouns
adjectives
etc, etc.

I re-name all my ESL downloads by title and author.
That way I can always find them again and also remember
who made them, in case I want to look that person up again.

Hope this helps

16 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

My system is similar to libertybelle �s. I have a folder called English and that is subdivided into �general � (for things like classroom discipline, articles on LD etc. etc.) and then a folder for every grade I teach. Each grade holds subfolders by subject (colors, numbers, modals, pres. simple, you name it, anything I teach in that specific grade..) . I rename the worksheets so I can see what they are about (i.e. pinguin grapgics 3rd person sorting)

16 Oct 2010     

SaraMariam
United States

I think Anusia ist talking about storing the things likea realia since talking about laminated cards. Me to, I had boxes full of cards with hundreds of cards, but then can �t find the one I really wanted in all the mess. Now I have many boxes with labels, but also with short descriptions on them, same for folders - so I don �t have to open everything and see what �s inside. But having an additional list with everything you have also helps. Like you write Role plays: Folder 3: topic and more info. Or Lamintaed cards; Box 2; topic and more info.
Though I must say, that I like to put all the things for one topic all together, so i don �t have to go through 10 boxes and folders to prepare for one course. So the current topics I �m teaching are in another shelf and cards, worksheets, games etc are together in one box.

17 Oct 2010     

foose1
United States

I do the same as the other responses but I also use excel.  I can sort by any of the columns (age, level, etc.) and expand main folders and sub folders. 

It is important for me to know what a student has learned so I can keep track of what they are doing. 

I link each folder to the excel spreadsheet so that I can get to it fast during my classes and most importantly check off what a student or group or students have completed. 

I also rename all of the worksheets as follows: exercise (power point game), worksheet, presentation, role-play, etc.) and the main category (tenses, verbs, etc.) and then I put the name of the presentation/worksheet.  I am now putting the author of the worksheet or presention at the end of the title.  An example would be, exercise - main category - subcategory - name of WS/PP/?? and then author.

On excel, I am using the same grouping.  I find that using the expand buttons under each category helps a lot and avoids confusion. 

John

17 Oct 2010     

cristinacarre
Spain

Hello I have done a folder called worksheet resources and there I have done other folders with animals, food, house, transports and others.

17 Oct 2010     

Anusia
Poland

Many thanks for all the replies. SaraMariam was right I wanted some ideas for storing printed materials (but thanks for the other ideas too) since on my computer I�ve got labelled documents and every printable has its name. still storing files on PC is not enough for me since it�s time consuming to open eg 30 past simple worksheets just to have a look which one is suitable for my lesson. I started to print all the computer materials and put them in labelled binders - that works for now. But the most difficult resource to store are for  me printed and cut games such as dominoes, memo cards, role play cards. I�ve got them in boxes but then when I don�t use something quite often I forget the rules of the game and have to look for it somewhere in the binder or on the computer.

Please share your ideas for storing any resources - I believe it can be useful for anyone using extra materials in teaching.

24 Oct 2010