Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > translation    

translation

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

translation

Hi there,

I need your help cos last week when giving my english classes I wanted to say two expressions but didn �t know how to say in English.
As for the first one I didn �t know if it was correct to tell a student of mine who did nothing in the team work and proudly said he was tired because he had worked a lot the following expression: How cheeky you are! In Spanish it is said "�Qu� cara m�s dura que tienes!
About the second expression is it correct to say when writing a letter "I take advantage of the situation to ask you ...." In Spanish "aprovecho la situaci�n para..." Thanks in advance

16 Oct 2010      

el_profe55
Argentina

the first one is correct, but in the second one you should say I �M TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THE SITUATION TO ASK YOU...

hope it �s helps

17 Oct 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

Colloquially, I would say:
1. What a nerve! What a cheek you �ve got!
2. By the way...
Hope it �s useful for you.

17 Oct 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

what you mean with CARADURA... �?�??�.... IN MY MEANING OF CARADURA doesn �t fit WHAT A NERVE even what a cheek you �ve got

17 Oct 2010     

pilarmham
Spain

I �d say that to take advantage of a situation doesn �t sound quite right (or even correct).

17 Oct 2010     

juliag
Japan

I agree with Pilarmham that "to take advantage of a situation" doesn �t sound quite right.

"By the way, ..." as she suggested would be fine. Or, "I �d like to take this opportunity to..."

Hope it helps and have a nice day.

17 Oct 2010     

cs1980
Portugal

I agree with elprofe55. The first one is correct, but the second one you should use to take advantage of a situation or by the way.

17 Oct 2010