Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can we practise sports?    

Can we practise sports?

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

Can we practise sports?

Good night everybody,

I am correcting a composition and after checking 3 dictionaries I cans solve my doubt. Is it right to say: "Is canoeing offered because I would like to practise this sport?" Or as I think we must say "Do" or "Go in for"? As far as I know practise is used when you want to improve on sth. Thanks in advance.

17 Oct 2010      

libertybelle
United States

You can say Canoeing is offered.

See here:
Canoeing is an outdoor activity that involves a special kind of canoe. When exactly a canoe can be called a kayak is difficult to determine though, ...

18 Oct 2010     

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

Dear libertybelle maybe I post my question in a bad way but my problem is with the use of the verb "practise". Can we practise a sport or is this a literal Spanish translation? If you want to do a sport for the first time can you say the above sentence?

18 Oct 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

I was told that canoe is for 2 or more people, it was used by Indians
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ilkane/Intcl137.jpeg

kayak is a boat with closed top, it is usually for one person, it was used by the Eskimos
http://traditionelkayak.6mablog.com/public/EskimoKayakBPC.jpg

you can say "I will try out canoeing." or "I will be canoeing"
you can also say "I will practice canoeing at the summer camp." (you will learn how to...)
or you can say: I will go canoeing this weekend.

18 Oct 2010     

chenchen_castrourdiales
Spain

What �s the difference between "practice sports" and " do or go in for sports"?

18 Oct 2010