Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Trip to London    

Trip to London

margmir
Portugal

Trip to London

Hi, friends!

I really need your help. My students have been asking me to arrange a school trip to London. I said I �d see what I could do, but It �s been much harder than I thought!

I have no experience in this kind of activity and I don �t quite know where to start.

Can someone help me with this?

For example, do you know any agencies which offer this kind of service? Any Portuguese teacher willing to share some useful experience or info?...

Thank you so much in advance !!

18 Oct 2010      

libertybelle
United States

You might have some agencies that deal with field trips.
We have a great one where I live - they book the flight, travel cards and hotel.
There are lots of good hotels for students.
If you want the names - send me a PM

L

18 Oct 2010     

stuartallen77
China

Hi Margmir,

I have done many London trips with language schools to London over the last five years. If you wanted to do it the safe way, then I could recommend a very reliable language school based in Brighton who could help you. They have been doing London trips for the last 23 years.

Alternatively, if you wanted to arrange something yourself, then it really isn �t that hard. Here are some bullet points below of some things which you might want to consider:

- How many students do you plan to take? Make sure you have enough group leaders to cover the number, perhaps one leader to every 10-15 students. 
- Try to choose leaders who have been to London before  
- Have a planned itinerary i.e. Arrive in London at 9.30am, go to Hyde Park, then a photo trip to Buckingham Palace (these things are free). Lunch in Green Park. Photo trip to the Tower of London River Boat cruise after lunch (you can get excellent group discounts and the entrance is next to the tower), shopping at Harrod �s, 6pm return home.
- An itinerary like this will reduce costs for you, but the group would have covered lots of London and had a great time
- To get around, you will to use the underground. Plan which stations you need to use BEFORE you travel. Make every leader aware of this and give them a copy of the information to keep in their bag
- Make sure all the students have the mobile numbers of the group leaders and that the leaders have the numbers of all the students
- Make an emergency meeting point i.e Victoria Train Station which ALL leaders and students know. A delegated leader should be chosen to perform this task before-hand, so all the students know who they are looking for and feel relaxed that everything is ok
- Make sure you give a safety talk while on the coach our flight on the way. Although the students might find it boring, state the obvious i.e cars coming from the other way, keep up with the group when walking from A to B, don �t go into pubs during free time, etc. Everyone knows where they stand and you �ve covered your back!

Thats about it. Its actually really easy to do, but if you do feel a bit daunted by it, then send me an email and I can put you in direct phone/email contact with the professionals.

Hope this helps,

Stuart Allen (from Brighton, teaching in central China) 

ESLplans.com

18 Oct 2010     

margmir
Portugal

Hi Stuart

I �ve only been to England (London) once. It was a long long time ago and I stayed for three days. 

I wish I were a native speaker and that I could travel more often but that �s not possible so it �s too risky for me to organise the whole trip myself.

I �d appreciate any contacts you could give me.

Thanks a lot and good luck for your work in China! ;)

19 Oct 2010