Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What is this method called in English?    

What is this method called in English?

elderberrywine
Germany

What is this method called in English?

Hi there, again a question concerning methods.
Students sit around a large sheet of paper in small groups and write down their thoughts and ideas about a given subject. They are not allowed to talk. They write down what comes to their mind, pass the sheet on, add to each others � thoughts, answer, add, etc.
What �s the name of this in English? In German it �s called something like "writing conversation" or "writing dialogue",  I �m looking for the correct word in English.
thanks in advance!

18 Oct 2010      

olgumco
Colombia

Dear Elderberrywine... I think you could call it free group writing, since the same technique but individually is free writing!

18 Oct 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

We have something called storyline or crazy story this is when the class is split into groups of four to six students. You give each student a sheet of paper, and have him or her  begin a story by writing just one line. The student then folds the sheet of paper over so that he hides the previous line. Next,  the students pass the sheet along to the student to their right or left, and then have the students continue the story. 

18 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

silent brainstorming?

18 Oct 2010     

Carlota_24
Poland

Hi,

I think it �s called THE SILENT WAY.

Ewel

18 Oct 2010     

mizutamari
United States

We usually call this "brainstorming" when students are allowed to talk...  So I echo Douglas that maybe you could call it "silent brainstorming".

19 Oct 2010