Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > DOUBTS    

DOUBTS

RENZO
Peru

DOUBTS

Hello, dear colleagues around the world.

What are the differences among these sentences?  IN A HOTEL.
The chambermaid will     SEND   the towels to your room.             Is it correct?
The chambermaid will     DELIVER  the towels to your room.
The chambermaid will     BRING  the towels to your room.

SEND sth to sb  by mail/post/radio etc.
SEND sb sth
send messsages

DELIVER : Take goods / letters
Deliver sth to sb

BRING: PROVIDE
BRING sb sth
Bring sth to sb

Actually I do not know how to explain the differences to my students.

On the other hand
I do not know how to explain  EXPECT   and   HOPE

HOPE: To want sth to happen and think that it is  possible.
             I hope you can visit Peru
EXPECT:  TO think that sth will happen
             I expect that you can visit Peru.

Thanks for being so helpful.
Thanks for being so generous.
Thanks in advance.
Take care

CHARITO
from Peru

18 Oct 2010      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Charito,
These words depend on where the Speaker and Listener are situated.

"The Chambermaid will send the towels to your room".  The Speaker is PROBABLY not in the room, but the Listener PROBABLY is in the room.  The Chambermaid will give instructions to someone, who will deliver (take) the towels to the room.  "Send" implies, first "away" from the Speaker, second "towards" the Listener.

"The Chambermaid will bring the towels to your room".  The Speaker is POSSIBLY in the room, and the Listener is PROBABLY in the room.  The Chambermaid will personally carry the towels, herself,  into the room.  "Bring" implies, first "towards" the Listener, second "away" from the Speaker.

If I "send" something, it goes away from "me", alone, to another place.

If I "bring" something, it comes with "me", to my place, where I live.

"The Chambermaid will deliver the towels to your room".  There is no reference to where Speaker and Listener are, but they are both probably at the Reception Desk, not in the room.  "Deliver" is very similar (in this context) to "bring", so the Chambermaid will carry the towels to the room.  However, it could imply that the Chambermaid will give orders for someone else to bring the towels to the room, (similar to a postman "delivering" a letter).

"I hope that you can visit Peru".
I want you to come, I will be glad if you come, (but I do not know if it is possible).  My heart says: "Please come! but I realise that it may not be possible, and I will be sad".

"I expect that you can visit Peru".  You have the time, the money, the wish to come to Peru.  It is probable (but not absolutely certain) that you will come.  My brain says: "I will expect you, I will make arrangements to greet you and I will wait for you, (because I think that you can come), on the First of December, 2010.  If you do not come, I will be surprised".

I hope that this helps you, (but I am not certain that it will!)

Les

19 Oct 2010