Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > ARE YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS ALSO ONLY DOWNLOADED IN THE BEGINNING?    

ARE YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS ALSO ONLY DOWNLOADED IN THE BEGINNING?

robertjannijk
Netherlands

ARE YOUR CONTRIBUTIONS ALSO ONLY DOWNLOADED IN THE BEGINNING?

Within two weeks I had a total number of 53 points and then no more for quite a few weeks.

Only when I removed one contribution and uploaded it again did I get some more.

Could this be that collegues only download recent contributions?

Or do not want to use points to download old ones?

3 Dec 2008      

allakoalla
Latvia

Hi
robertjannijk
Check your inbox :0)

3 Dec 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

Robert,

This tactic of uploading a contribution and then gaining points, then deleting it and uploading it again seems a very risky business as you will lose all the points you gained when you uploaded the item for the first time.  Some unscrupulous contributors may upload the exact same thing two or three times to gain points again, but usually someone notices a duplicate worksheet and reports it as stolen.

I also notice that your contributions are all PowerPoints, which, whilst popular do not attract nearly as many to download as do worksheets, and that everyone is designed specifically for a Dutch audience.  You have a niche market, but not many will be attracted to a contribution that is aimed at a specific nationality.

To get more points, upload more worksheets and make them more �attractive� or desireable for a wider market.  Please believe me, in a relatively short times, you can accumulate many points.

3 Dec 2008     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Ladybird has captured many salient points in her answer. Effectively  Anything(meaning worksheets, ppt�s etc) which is older than 24 hours is off limits to members who have points in the hundreds. You have to carry on uploading worksheets routinely and hope that people will download them so you can accumulate points. My guestimate is that if on average a worksheet gets 10 points it will take about a year to even get into the thousand point zone. Contrast this with many long-term and pioneer members who have uploaded excellent materials and have in the last so many years thousands of points but they have a problem. Their problem is that new members with limited points can�t download their worksheets and in my opinion a great resource somewhere around 80,000 worksheets are in essence inaccessible particularly to those who really need them - the new member. So we have a catch 22 situation here. There has been discussions on these issues before and no satisfactory answer has been found for this dilemma.
I have at this stage only one suggestion: First we need a poll to identify what i would call the top 100 - those members we think have the best resources. then we need to request Victor to allow these members to upload their best work to the everyday quota of 30 free worksheets but only if they want to.

Remember currently members with low points in the hundred have effectively access to the 30 free downloads from about 100-200 worksheets/ppt�s/online excercises/lesson plans etc uploaded everydat and thats it.

This is not a complaint, moan only thinking allowed about the direction the site may go in the future.

3 Dec 2008     

aftab57
United Kingdom

Thank you for the reply Mietz and I couldn�t agree with you more. Your suggestion is an excellent one because it also ensures that new members continue to upload new materials. I would fully back anything like this.

3 Dec 2008