Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How do I maintain the interest of tutored students over time?    

How do I maintain the interest of tutored students over time?

slkchina
China

How do I maintain the interest of tutored students over time?

I have been tutoring a couple of 10 year-old girls for more than a year. I have gratefully used many of the materials and ideas from this site but I �m running out of creativity. Because the previous materials have been such high interest--mini books, word games, clothing, food, ppts, school, etc. they resist ordinary grammar and vocabulary work and are wanting exciting activities.

Do any of you have any ideas or references for my "What now?" question?

Thanks for all of your support and suggestions.

20 Oct 2010      

stessenspaola
Argentina

Well what works for me is to set a final task for my students. I always tell them "at the end of these activities you �ll be able to do (for example your own recipe)". In that way they know that all what you give them has a real purpose. I have tried all sort of final tasks: to create your dream school (I use Harry Potter �s film), reality shows like style you famous (in which SS have to turn a class mate into Sb famous ) and then describe the make-up they used, as well as clothes and accesories and hair style. You can also work with music and make SS to present their favorite band as well as favourite song (they even can create their own song!).

20 Oct 2010     

SueThom
United States

Great idea, Paola!  I �m going to remember that.

Steve, I assume you �re keeping track of what they �re doing (periodic testing, samples of writing/speaking, etc.).  Maybe showing them once in awhile how they �re progressing would encourage them.  Or perhaps the reverse:  is there a goal they would like to reach?  (Several specific,  smaller ones are better than one big, rather nebulous one.)

I remember one student in particular I tutored for a couple of years.  I had him do some free-writing in the beginning.  I also kept a chart of all the material we covered.  He liked to see how he was improving.  Every once in awhile I �d test him on all the material we �d covered to date and it excited him to see how much he �d learned.

Good luck!

Sue

20 Oct 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Let them talk about themselves.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

20 Oct 2010