Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help needed    

Help needed

Aldegunde
Spain

Help needed

Hi everybody!

I would appreciate your help to express this idea in the right way: if only woerk three hours a day , which one is correct:
I only work few hours
I only work for few hours
 I assume that " a few" is not correct becouse it would mean "several", which is not the case.
Thanks in advance

20 Oct 2010      

yarisdp
Turkey

I think that � �I only work few hours � � is the right one,because when you use  � � WORK FOR � �,it means the company you are working at.I also think that it will be  better to use a day,a week etc. after � �hours � �.For e.g.few hours a day,four days a week.

20 Oct 2010     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

I �d say

�I only work a few hours a day."

I think adding the �a � is neccessary.

without the �a, � I �d say:

�I work few hours, but I �m still tired all the time. �

20 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Aldegunde,

"I work only three hours a day",
and
"I work only a few hours a day", are perfectly acceptable.

"Only" goes immediately before, or after the words that you are modifying.  Strictly speaking, "I only work" means that I do nothing else.

"I only play Badminton on a Monday" means that I play Badminton and nothing else on a Monday.  Badminton!  Badminton!  Badminton!  Badminton!  Badminton! All day long!
"I play Badminton only on a Monday" or "I play Badminton on a Monday only", mean that Monday is the only day on which I play Badminton.

Beware!  Many English speakers do not obey this Rule!

I apologise for �correcting� you, but "a few" does not mean "several", it means "not many" or "a small number".

"We had a party last night and I invited 20 friends but only a few came, a small number - 6 in total".

I hope that this helps you.

Best wishes.

Les

20 Oct 2010     

stessenspaola
Argentina

Great explanation! It has helped me too!!!

20 Oct 2010