Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > 1 to 1 (individual) lesson ideas / techniques    

1 to 1 (individual) lesson ideas / techniques

sclail
Italy

1 to 1 (individual) lesson ideas / techniques

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any experience in teaching in 1 to 1 situations - I �m running out of ideas to keep the structure of the lessons varied!

Many of the worksheets and activities don �t work so well on a one to one basis and I don �t want to just sit and watch the student read a worksheet...

I do usually try to ask and be asked questions in the tenses we are learning and have conversational phases, but with more advanced students (using more complex grammatical structures and tenses) are difficult to plan - I often fall back into just have an hour and a half conversation but with little specific language focus.

Does anyone else have this difficulty?

Any ideas would be very welcome! 

Thank you all!!
xxx

20 Oct 2010      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Sclail,
I have frequently taught one-to-one, (on two occasions to Italian girl-students), and it is very difficult.  If you can possibly involve another student, do so!

I have used written dialogues, and we have spoken, where I am one of the two voices.

I have played CD �s, or DVD �s or Videos, and then questioned the student about what was said, (or he/she has written the answers).

I have read aloud words, and the student must spell them --- A "Spelling Bee".

I have had two-person debates, (Student versus Teacher), based on written Cards, which have opposite attitudes written on them.  The student chooses the Card at random, and then says "A", or "B", and must then defend that argument.
A)  I think an office job is best, because ... ...
B)  I think an outdoor job is best, because ... ...
A)  I think a cold climate is good, because ... ...
B)  I think a hot climate is good, because ... ...

We have played "Taboo" where the student must describe an object, but must not say it �s name.  The name chosen is taboo and must not be said!
"It is an animal.  It has fur.  It has four legs and a tail.  It lives in my house.  It eats mice. Its babies are called kittens".  Teacher shouts: "CAT!"  This game forces the student to extend his/her vocabulary.

I print song lyrics and we sing songs together.

I have played in (English) one paragraph of a book on tape, CD, etc while he/she reads the book (in English) on his/her knee.  Then follow questions about the paragraph, with possible written answers.  (This Lesson involves Reading; Writing; Speaking; and Listening; Comprehension; Vocabulary; etc.)

"Here are four English words, "Banana", "Window", "Helicopter"; "Swim".  Please speak a story which must last at least two minutes.  Use your imagination.  I do not want:
"The monkey jumped out of the window of the helicopter to get the banana and fell into the water, so it began to swim".  I want TWO MINUTES of speaking, with a proper story!

I give a sentence in the (for example) Present Simple Tense.  The student must speak in the Past Simple Tense.

"In bocca lupo!"
"Ciao!"
Les

20 Oct 2010