Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Reducing ppt size    

Reducing ppt size

mchero
Hungary

Reducing ppt size

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have any idea why my ppt �s become so huge even if the inserted pics are small?
I �ve just tried a ppt with 5 slides only, one picture on each slide, 40-80 KB each.
The ppt was over 3 MB!

Why is that? What can I do?

20 Oct 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

sometimes the background used in the powerpoint is very heavy: try to change it to the simplest one available and check the size!
have a nice day!

20 Oct 2010     

mchero
Hungary

I �ve tried, now everything is white. But it �s still well over 2 MB, and I haven �t included half of the pics :(
Thanks anyway.

20 Oct 2010     

ELOJOLIE274
France

are your images saved on your computer? are they in .jpeg? try to reduce their size to the minimum possible.
sometimes it helps to save the ppt as a new ptt - once one of my ppt was over 5MB and when I did that the new ppt was around 500Ko...
good luck! 

20 Oct 2010     

gkole70
United States

Delete changes, or copy and save to a new file? I have gotten rid of a lot of volume that way before.

20 Oct 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

you are probably copy/pasting the picture. dont do that always save the pic in your computer the go to insert picture and look for it on your file. when you copy/paste you are making the picture a bipmap which is a larger image of it.

21 Oct 2010     

debk2000
United States

Hello.  I just had a similar problem with a PPT I want to upload soon.  Did you try compressing the pictures?

Here is what I did:

Right click on the picture.
Show picture Toolbar.
Choose the option "Compress pictures."
When a new box appears, choose the following:
Apply to: "All pictures in Document"
Change Resolution: "Web/Screen" (96 dpi)
Options:  Make sure "Compress pictures" and "Delete cropped area of pictures" are selected.
Ok

This is from PPT 2003 so newer versions may be a little different, but I �m sure it would be the same basic idea.

This really reduced the size of my PPT and the picture quality wasn �t too drastically diminished in my opinion.

Just something to try.... :) 

21 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Which picture format is the smallest? Tiff, png, jpeg, bmp, gif? Ed

21 Oct 2010     

mchero
Hungary

Sure, I always tried with copy-paste, never with Insert a picture. I �ll try it. Also the compression. Thanks for your help!

21 Oct 2010     

zailda
Brazil

If you copy and paste pictures, reduce them to the size you want in the document, then click on the picture and press Ctrl + X - the picture will "disappear". In the word tools you �ll see (top left): paste. Click there and choose "special paste" and choose the format jpg. (PNG is the heaviest) - your picture will reappear and its size will decrease drasticaly.

Hope it helps.

22 Oct 2010     

mchero
Hungary

�Insert a picture � helped. The document is only 500KB now. Thanks for everyone!

22 Oct 2010