Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > elementary, intermediate, advanced    

elementary, intermediate, advanced

Vickiii
New Zealand

elementary, intermediate, advanced

Which is which?

When I search for worksheets I often find quite difficult text in the elementary section, and then I find flashcards in the advanced category, leaving me rather confused to what entails each.  How do you decide on a level for your material?  What makes it elementary or advanced?  I think this could be a very informative discussion.  Your ideas are very welcome.

3 Dec 2008      

mena22
Portugal

Hi Vickiii! This is indeed an interesting point for discussion. I upload my worksheets in the elementary section when they are appropriate for 1st to 6th graders; in the intermediate section for 7, 8 and 9th graders (3, 4 and 5 years learning English, respectively), and advanced for 10th, 11th and 12th graders. Sometimes I consider some worksheets for the 10th year as advanced or upper-intermediate, depending on the students "real" level. Yesterday I uploaded a worksheet on the Simple Past of the verb to be and I was about to upload ir in the elementary section, but I decided for the intermediate because the vocabulary and the type of exercises were more appropriate for intermediate students in my opinion. But once again, it all depends on the students you have in front of you!

I�d very much like to hear other teachers� opinions. A nice day to all of you! Smile

3 Dec 2008     

floris79
Chile

I agree
But i also think its a discussion without an ending.

The way I level is like this:

I have elementary courses 1st untill 8. and 1 highschool course�
1st grade untill 5th grade i consider elementary
5th grade untill highschool intermediate.

And ofcourse it also depends on the excerise.�

I do agree that i also would consider most flashcards elementary. And most text intermediate.
Becaus i think when english becomes more vocabulary and the students start to understand easy written text they are becoming intermediate students.

3 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Are these levels age related then?

What about people who begin to learn english as adults?

3 Dec 2008     

aftab57
United Kingdom

This is a very complex area. What mena22 has described applies I think to childrens education and I know  the system is very similar in most countries eg elementary=primary; intermediate=middle and advanced=secondary.

The system for adults is different and very confused. The published books on EFL are divided into about 8 level from beginners to advanced. there is also differences depending on whther you are teaching ESL, EFL, ELT, ESP etc.

In the I use my own judgement based on the simple categories of beginner, intermediate and advanced and how they relate to the students I teach. In the UK we have five levels for teaching of ESOL(Enlish for speakers of other languages).  It also depends on the teaching resource you could use a flashcard for quite advanced students it depends on the questions you ask and the vocabulary you use etc.

3 Dec 2008     

aftab57
United Kingdom

For anyone who might be interested in how the ESL/ESOL curriculum is organised for adults in the UK and levels etc the following link will provide all the answers:

3 Dec 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi , all
I think that this is a very interesting  and important point. Since we are teachers from different countries gathered here around this site sharing and exchanging WS and ideas, thanks to victor, I think we should find a better way to categorize these WS. I agree, it sometimes very confusing.
So, what do you think of basing the category on the llength of the learning. (how many years your ss or the  ss your  WS is aimed to have been learning English?
i.e. In some countries SS aged 15/16 have learned English just for 3 or 4 years. So should they use the same WS used by SS their age from Britain, for instance, who certainly have been studying English for much longer?

I would like to suggest the following:
LENGTH OF LEARNING ---------> WS CATEGORY
2 to 3 Years                                Elementary
4 to 6 Years                                Intermediate
7 to 8 Years                                Upper-Intermediate
9 or more                                    advanced

hope it could help. I will try not to miss the rest of this discussion. I am very interested;

Best regards to all

3 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Thank you for some insightful comments goodnesses (nice to see you are still with us)

I completely agree - it seems most people classify on age and then teh level is on age as well - makes it difficult to find beginning materials for adults.

4 Dec 2008