Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with listening comprehension & progress    

Help with listening comprehension & progress

newuser07
Argentina

Help with listening comprehension & progress

Dear friends,

I�m so sad / dissapointed!! :(
In one of my classes this week I had a group with a student who has been studying English for 3 years with me and 3 years with more with another teacher. The thing is he keeps feeling she is making little/ no progress.

Even though he is supposed to be lower intermediate her listening comprehension is compleeeeeeeeeetely basic! :(  and the truth is his grammar is sort of " up and down" depending on the day. Sometimes he is very accurate and sometimes he makes basic mistakes (eg: he go, did they be, etc) or forgets simple words!!!

All my other adult students have improved their listening skills and language  throughout the training but he seems to be "stuck" in a basic -elementary level and that�s it! He is getting frustrated and I don�t know how to help him . His classmates are improving a lot and even though he has an individual class as well she doesn�t seem to internalize anything!!!

I�ve told him over and over again not to pay attention to details/ exceptions and focus on the global picture. However, he keeps doing the same thing and it�s driving me mad!!! He wants me to correct him all the time and I don�t agree since he makes a lot of mistakes and in this way his fluency would never improve, would it?

I don�t know what to do. How could I deal with these situations?  I�ve tried to explain not all of us learn in the same way, etc but it hasn�t worked....

Thanks in advance for your suggestions- ideas!

:)

22 Oct 2010      

AACG
Argentina

Hi there newuser,
Your student might have a language learning disability. I don �t know what exactly you could do but follow these links which may help you to study the topic:

22 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

Perhaps you can have him write some special assignments.  You could then correct all of the mistakes without orally devastating him.  He will also have something to reference that gives him specific problems to work/focus on.

22 Oct 2010